Wednesday, May 03, 2006

SAILING - SAN DIEGO STYLE










Two weeks ago, on Monday, April 17th, I was treated to a nice surprise. For my 46th birthday, my brother-in-law invited me to go sailing in Mission Bay, San Diego (California). He had also included some of my family members and his own father in the invite.

Talk about thrilled. This was going to be my first sailing, and to cap it off, it would be on a racing sailboat - 56 glorious feet of sheer beauty. One whose owner has had it involved in several large racing regattas. Heck, with the money invested in the boat and the equipment in it, it better be used for more than just cruising. I should mention that the sailboat is not my brother-in-law's but rather belongs to a very good friend of his who owns his own IT solutions company.

We arrived at the harbor at Mission Bay and boarded the craft at about 1:00pm. We had some concern that it would be very cold on the Bay as it was initially cloudy. In fact, we were getting some light, sporadic rain. Well, it was only about 25 minutes into the sail and the skies cleared up for the most part. It was perfect sailing weather. Just enough wind to keep the boat moving at a good clip but not enough to chop up the water.

What incredible views! Mission Bay, Downtown San Diego, the harbors, the Naval Base, the ships and other incredible sailing vessels. The whole sailing process was interesting. Let's say that several of the guests and me learned very quickly what a shout out of 'tack' meant. My sister and I just about slid right off the cabin's roof decking and into the bay on our first sharp tack. Notice the photographic evidence included in this post. For those of you who are unfamiliar with a tack, simply...it is the sailboat's turning maneuver. Depending on how sharp the maneuver is and how strong the winds are, the craft can really reach a tilt to one side. That first tack of ours darn near put the sailboat at a 60 degree angle or so. I held on for dear life and ensured that I cued in to any further shouts of 'tack!'

My one surprise for the whole sailing excursion - I had no sea sickness problem. We even left the bay and ventured out into the Pacific Ocean. Quite the difference once we left the bay. Rolling waters with swells that had the boat shifting elevations of about 10ft up and down. No problem for me but oh boy, not so good for my little 4 year-old niece and 6 year-old nephew. Suffice to say, my niece was down in the cabin, on the floor rolling back and forth with the motion, pretty much like a limp ragdoll. We got our quick chuckle and then pulled both of them updeck, sat them at the back of the boat, and had them focus on land ahead. That event ended our venture into open waters and brought us back into the harbor.

What an incredible day! And we capped it off with a Mexican feast, complete with chips, salsa, and pitchers of Margaritas. For the moment, it felt great to be 46. Let's say sailing fever has now kicked in.

***For your viewing pleasure, a few pictures of my experience on Mission Bay.

8 Comments:

At Wed May 03, 07:09:00 AM PDT, Blogger Ryan said...

omg u look like u had a blast!

 
At Wed May 03, 07:26:00 AM PDT, Blogger The Persian said...

awesome pictures, welcome to the Blogger World! :)

 
At Wed May 03, 08:04:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like so much fun. Brian and I dream of moving to San Diego some day. I LOVE that city.

 
At Wed May 03, 09:47:00 AM PDT, Blogger Spider said...

Hey Tony - got here by way of Derek - GREAT BLOG and some fantastic pictures - have always heard how beautiful San Diego is and your pics show it.

I have put you on my blog roll if you don't mind - always easier to ask forgivence than permission!

 
At Wed May 03, 01:17:00 PM PDT, Blogger mattviews said...

Horray!! You finally have a website. I've always enjoyed reading your opinion on Bent Collective and Moby's Files.

 
At Wed May 03, 03:54:00 PM PDT, Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Saw your commeont on Michael Hartney's blog, saw you were local and decided to check out your blog. Very nice, the pictures are beautiful too!

Here's to future excursions for you to help you get your sea legs!

 
At Wed May 03, 07:24:00 PM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

what a wonderful entry, I havn't sailed in years, thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures with us. You got to quit putting all these hot pictures of yourself on here. That shot where you look like your waiting for a hand. I've got a cousin that lives in San Diego and I've always loved the pictures on the water there. I've got an old roomate that lives there too.

 
At Wed May 03, 07:51:00 PM PDT, Blogger brandon said...

I just found your blog Tony, this is great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home