Thursday, May 04, 2006

PART I: AN 'OSCAR' OR A 'FELIX' MOMENT?


Well today was suppose to be the day I tackled my bedroom. I have dubbed my little 10'x10' space as my 'padded cell.' Yes, sometimes I feel like I am locked up in an insane asylum. Does the room suggest that I might be losing it. The 'cell' has been this way since about the 8th week of last quarter (12 weeks in our school quarter). That would put a date on it at about March 5. And it has remained like this until today. The only thing different in the pictures provided are the shoes on the floor and the clothes on my bed. See...I also had to unpack from my recent 12-day trip to San Francisco where I visited family and met up with fellow bloggers. But the mess around the chair...yes that has been there since the beginning of March, sorry to say.

As school starts to wind down and I go through critical stage with projects coming due, I just simply start stacking. I hate to put something away only to find out I need it again a day later. I never use to be this way but having such a small room and my entire life packed into it amidst this already cramped 700 sq.ft. apartment, well let's just say I have learned to not fuss over a mess. And boy does that gnaw at me occasionally because I was born a neat freak. Hell, when my roommate and I moved into this apartment 2 years ago, he had two shirts made up ~ one black T-shirt for him with Oscar written on it and one black polo for me with Felix monogrammed on it. Where was Tony? On the floor, buckled over in laughter, and gasping for breath. We are the Odd Couple of sorts but I think 'Oscar' has rubbed off on me more than 'Felix' on 'Oscar.' Who cares at this point!

I have digressed a bit. To the point ~ I attempted to get the ball rolling this morning bright and early. Key here is "ATTEMPTED." I was suppose to be up at 7:30am. Got up a half hour late. And then what do I do? Start to read my favorite blogs. Not good! I managed to get to the bank to transfer much needed funds. I came home and put away my trip items, clothing and all. Now where do I continue? Sort through mail and pay bills or go through a years worth of paperwork and paid bill receipts that I never filed away, in order, for tax purposes, etc. Or do I start clearing items from the chair and putting school materials and books away in storage. I opted to sort the mail and pay bills. Ah damn! Too late. I had three overdue monthly bills. SHHHH!!! Don't say anything to my roommate. I just went ahead and paid the 'overdue' amount quoted. I'll just absorb those expenses. I can't say I have ever been late on a bill before. But when you have spent the last three weeks out of town, living it up on vacation...well I think you know where I am going with this.

I had to get my weightlifting and cardio workout done. I have been off it since the week of finals. That would be four weeks. So I accomplished that task. Now I am feeling it in the body.

You might be thinking, "Well did he get rid of that pile in the corner of the room on, under, and around the chair." Hell no! I am stalling by typing up this blog post! Tomorrow is always another day.

8 Comments:

At Thu May 04, 12:33:00 AM PDT, Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

You are not alone. My bedroom looks about the same and it is much bigger.
And I too am a stacker.

It's good to know, I'm not alone. So either this makes me a little more normal or you a little bit like me.

If it is the latter...you have my sympathies.

 
At Thu May 04, 01:04:00 AM PDT, Blogger Joel said...

Don't feel bad. My bedroom is always in disaray but I get used to it. EVERYTIME I think we will clean it up we get sidetracked and it never happens.

 
At Thu May 04, 07:53:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you are brave for showing pictures of your mess. My what big shoes you have. You know what they say.

 
At Thu May 04, 08:00:00 AM PDT, Blogger Spider said...

yea Mark - I noticed the shoes also... very interesting...

 
At Thu May 04, 10:32:00 AM PDT, Blogger Conor Karrel said...

I find this somewhat amusing, you seem to have your life in order and are going for the things you really want, and yet, your bedroom looks about as bad as mine was when I was a disorganized mess with my life.

I guess I assumed the more your life got together the more you tended to keep the other areas tidy too. You have dispelled my myth, hehe.

That's alright, I certainly sympathize with the amount of work and the little time it always seems we have to do it in. It'll come together when you can take a breather.

Oh, and nice, *ahem* big, shoes...

 
At Thu May 04, 12:26:00 PM PDT, Blogger mattviews said...

You're not alone. My room is strewn with all the books, papers, journals, and folders I need for my classes, plus rubberbanded bundles of students' homework. I don't like to put things away knowing that I'll need them soon. I tried to separate piles of books according to the classes but now they just stack up wherever there's room! Today is the last day of class for me but I've gotta catch up grading the students' work and return them before final exam. Maybe I'll have some time cleaning up before summer session starts in early July.

And...oh yeah...those big shoes!

 
At Thu May 04, 04:27:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I thought I was messy...Sure give us excuses of school and trips...

LOL, you always mentioned you had to clean your room when we talked but seriously I had no idea. But I do rember your were a little crazy at the end of school. Get yourself organized you will feel so much better.

PS. Congratulations on the grades!

 
At Thu May 04, 07:30:00 PM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

I'm definately have more Oscar rubbed off on me in the last year. As long as I have it clean by my day off, I'm fine. I just can't keep it clean like I used to could when I lived alone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home