Friday, June 02, 2006

DID I LEARN MY LESSON?


After a day like yesterday, I don't want to experience one like it again. Is there an absolute guarantee I won't ~ no. But gosh, I am sure going to try and avoid the situtation again. I think it is a combination of being burnt out and 'senioritis.'

So you are probably asking what the heck happened. Well, I let some school work pile up and then capped it off by saving it all literally, with the exception of some reading, for the last day I could possibly do it. And yes, that included doing some of the work five hours before class.

I had a presentation on Defining Spaces that was due in my Senior Project class (a mixed-use complex project). I had hoped to construct a PowerPoint presentation but given my minimal use of the program in the past, I abandoned the set up about one-quarter of the way through it. The process was simply taking too long given what I had remaining on my plate. I switched to doing a pictorial board done by hand.

In my other major studio class, Senior Show (a class designed to aid in preparing us to keep an on-going portfolio once we are in the job market), I had three items to complete. I had a board project involving three business cards. The cards could be totally unrelated in business, design, and color. I had to come up with a solution to get them to work creatively. The purpose of the exercise was to pull them together by use of board layout, repetition of pattern, color, materials, sequencial order. Trust me, not as easy as it sounds. Basically whatever it took to create a cohesive display and establish my message clearly. Dear ol' professor had also advised us we should bring our resumes in, partially redrafted if needed. I fell into the 'if needed' category since my resume was set up for all the management positions I had held over the years. And the last goodie was a series of thumbnail sketches of a designed personal logo to use on letterhead, portfolio and board presentations, and other miscellaneous items.

All this with the reading of three books. Lets say I was trying to complete all the text reading for the quarter in two classes. I succeeded with the exception of about 30 pages in my 'additional reading' assignment. Fortunately I think I have enough notes from that book to reasonably discuss in our class discussion groups. Otherwise I guess I'll just have to implement those creative B.S. skills.

How did I do? One lackluster board, I felt, for my Senior Project class. One reasonably decent Senior Show board presentation after stacking it up against the rest of the class' output. Put all that work into the logo thumbnail drawings for nothing ~ the class didn't get to review them with the instructor. And the resume ~ well I got by on that one. The instructor provided some input to the class as a
whole but no individual critiquing. Shew!!!!! I am one spent, tired dude. I NEED A MASSAGE!! Will anyone oblige?

Before I rap this post up, I want to say thank you to three special people, Spider, Pete, and Brett. These guys either sent me an IM chat, a cellphone text message, or placed a phone call to see if I was hanging in there and/or offer me some words of encouragement. YOU GUYS MADE MY DAY...I SO NEEDED IT BECAUSE I WAS JUST ON THE VERGE OF ABANDONING ONE OR TWO OF THE PROJECTS. A big bear hug to each of you!

8 Comments:

At Fri Jun 02, 04:31:00 AM PDT, Blogger Spider said...

I will take mine when you and Pete come to Florida...

Glad you got it all finished - and I am sure it was much better than you are giving yourself credit for.

 
At Fri Jun 02, 05:28:00 AM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

Do you like it hard or soft, the massage that is! Glad you got through it, you hard working man! I know your happy it's over, now go have some fun. Massage will be waiting when you get down this way! What's you IM profile name, and I'll send you instant messages.

 
At Fri Jun 02, 07:07:00 AM PDT, Blogger Brettcajun said...

Well, Tony, I know you are a perfectionist and the kind of student that loves to be the Teacher's Pet. Hopefully, you will have learned your lesson and not repeat this mad rush to completion. You must think of your class assignments as things you hate to do. Then you must focus on doing the things you hate to do before you indulge in any fun stuff. That'll prevent any future stress related panics for you in the future. Remember... Teacher's Pets have to impress the teacher and beat all the other students!

 
At Fri Jun 02, 09:14:00 AM PDT, Blogger ..:: YNAGER ' 65 ::.. said...

Congrats on the completion...Sounds like you are entitled to a little weekend R & R!!! Enjoy = )

 
At Fri Jun 02, 12:08:00 PM PDT, Blogger mattviews said...

It sounds like you've got it all together. Good job Tony! I know how it feels when you're under the pressure of deadline. Hope you enjoy the weekend!

Teacher's Pet huh? You can be anybody's pet, easily! :)

Meanwhile I'm getting for Hong Kong. I haven't been there during this time of the year since I came here as a teenager. Talk about muggy, hot weather, 95 degrees!

 
At Fri Jun 02, 10:47:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww hope you find that massage somewhere.. It's a shame you don't live here, Im' pretty good with my hand and many have suggested I go to massage school :)

 
At Sat Jun 03, 04:12:00 PM PDT, Blogger Pete said...

I'd help you out anyway you need it and just the way you like it (insert evil grin).

That's what frineds are for to give you encouragement. You can do it bud, hang in there.

Remeber the reward, Spider and me in Florida.....

 
At Sun Jun 04, 09:16:00 AM PDT, Blogger The Untraveled Travel Guy said...

Too bad Tony that I'm not in your area :) I'm a certified massage therapist up here in San Francisco...though have yet to really put it into practice. I was notorious for working down to a deadline when it came to anything school related.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home