Thursday, September 28, 2006

INTERIOR DESIGN - RESIDENTIAL AND MODELING

It has been a while since I have posted anything related to my design schooling - I guess three months probably. You have seen my perspective drawings, my color renderings, and my original certificate program boards (these boards did not show any detailed renderings, full house spaceplanning, multi-room finishes and furniture/in other words they were basic). What I have to show you below evolved from my RESIDENTIAL DESIGN I class. This particular class was amongst the last of my associate degree classes. It was to demonstrate an accumulation of my conceptual, spaceplanning, perspective/rendering, color, and period style skills. It also involved using the modeling techniques that we had learned to demonstrate our finished interior and spatial design.

The project was a New York City LOFT which was to house three generations of women - basically involving a youth, a middle-aged woman, and an elderly woman. So if you think this through carefully, you will realize that each has certain needs in addition to desired items in a household. We created our own scenario of these three women, what they desired, and what ultimately would be needed. Based on the image created, we were asked to chose a period style and apply color based on that to finish the design picture while considering the clients' opinions. Because the project involved NY City, I thought of the many Art Deco buildings in that city. I had stated that my clients' residence building was of that period. To keep things consistent with the client profile and the architecture of the building, I opted to do Art Deco for my period style. From there, appropriate furniture was selected, appropriate fabrics suggesting the period, and appropriate color was chosen . In selecting color I also had to consider the art inspiration I had chosen from the Georgia O'Keefe's collection. The piece that I chose is seen below in the first board, upper left corner.

As you look at the boards, the renderings are what I envisioned the spaces looking like. I even designed the chandelier that you see in the dining room drawing. I went with black and white boards since that was one color combination of the Art Deco period.

Initial board showing the 1st floor spaceplan, models, and the dining room rendering.
Board showing the dining and living room furniture and accessories.
Board showing the second floor spaceplan, the master suite furniture, materials, etc.
Board showing the master suite bathroom, the materials, lighting, accessories, etc.


To give the client a better idea of the full home interior design and how it relates to the building, we create a 3-dimensional foam core model. Other materials are used in the model to get our point across visually. Trust me this is not an easy task. Modeling is an art in itself and if you're good, can be a pretty decent paying profession. But darn....you have to have a lot of patience and great vision! I spent hours on this model...hours. And its not the best model I have ever done.

Full view of residential design showing what would be the top of the building only.
View showing the interior / second floor of the two-story loft in place.
View of the interior / showing the first floor after the second floor is removed.

So there you have it! You have now seen what one of my more extensive projects has involved in my Associate and Bachelors degree programs. I take a lot of pride in what I have accomplished and done. I know I have weaknesses as a designer but who exactly is perfect. I look at these weaknesses as opportunities to excel, to challenge myself. Admittedly, I do have a hard time feeling confident in some of the challenges but I am working on it. Hope you enjoy what you see.


***Note: Current status on what I chose to do with this quarter given the needed CAD skills in my Senior Studio (Project) class...I chose to drop the Senior Studio II class in hopes of picking it up in the Winter Quarter (keep your fingers crossed please), to stick with my internship program (I am looking at the moment), and to seek an outside Art History class (to complete my FIDER GenEd. requirement that I was surprised with last quarter even though I have a degree and adequate GE credits already). It looks like I will also try to obtain some short two - five day crash coursework in CAD - that's computer-aided design.

8 Comments:

At Thu Sep 28, 04:21:00 AM PDT, Blogger Spider said...

You are SO DAMN TALENTED... and here I am having a hard time making a final decision on paint colors for the cottage...

 
At Thu Sep 28, 06:36:00 AM PDT, Blogger ..:: YNAGER ' 65 ::.. said...

WAY TO COOL....I love the "bowl sinks" in bathrooms, I think they are the bomb....very nice Tony

 
At Thu Sep 28, 07:34:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the club chairs. A little decco here and there and you can't go wrong.

Where's the sling? And the basement room with the concrete floor and the big drain? Oh sorry.

 
At Thu Sep 28, 09:30:00 AM PDT, Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Well, there goes all my hopes of someday being able to afford your services... you are going to be far too in demand! Simply brilliant!

Of course, I'm biased as Art Deco is my FAVORITE thing!

 
At Thu Sep 28, 11:25:00 AM PDT, Blogger Paul said...

Incredible work. I assume that you had no budget constraints!

 
At Thu Sep 28, 03:33:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tony said...

To all you guys thus far...Spidie, Damien, Y, Teddy, MEK, and Paul...thanks for the compliments. They mean a lot.

MEK...of course my price is going to go up! I have to make up all that money on Tuition and the three years of incomme I stole away from my 'new home' funds.

Oh and Teddy...I do do basements...we can do it al la raunchy, or with a little added "class"..now there is a contradiction...nah! let's keep it raunchy fun.

And yes Paul...we had an open budget on this project. At our level they want us to expand our creative thought process rather than inhibit it. We ultimately know that sometimes we may have to get creative in doing something expensive looking but on fewer dollars. That's probably more of a real life process and attached to a learning curve.

 
At Thu Sep 28, 06:27:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lemuel said...

Wow! Very impressive! I had just commented today about the Lemming's work with SIMS in designing a loft-looking design. I really think loft's are great. I particularly have become fascinated with those that are created out of existing industrial spaces. One of the first that caught my eye was the loft in the movie "Philadelphia" and then I was really blown away by the Brian's loft in QAF. I like to see the shows on HGTV (which are "real" as opposed to movie sets).

You work is mavelous - elegant and nice clean lines. Very nice!

 
At Thu Sep 28, 09:41:00 PM PDT, Blogger Ur-spo said...

i read blogs late, and being on PST i am usually 'last in line' so I can only concur with the previous praises
I love colour too; keep up making the world as colourful as it can be!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home