Friday, September 29, 2006

OUT FROM BEHIND THE MASK OF ANONYMITY


The blog world can be a challenge at times but rewarding similarly. I believe we all recognize that the greatest challenge in blogland is accepting the other person at the other end to be genuine, real, and sincere on all levels. The mask of the computer, with all its ability to ship information around at incredible speeds, does not provide that personal interaction, enabling an individual to make a proper assessment of a counterpart. It also provides a buffer that allows individuals to remain in the background safely, to some degree, assessing situations, conveying opinions without fear of retaliation, perhaps even studying an individual. Sound intimidating, eerie, perhaps creepy? It should be...we all need to approach this environment with some degree of caution. Otherwise, we risk the chance of being hurt - physically depending on the situations, but most definitely emotionally.

Then there is the opposite spectrum. Blogland provides more overt individuals, publishing blogs and/or commenting in those environments, an opportunity to interact with people having similar views, to possibly befriend readers in a positive way, to even meet some of those individuals and create long-term friendships. We live in an entirely different yet progressive environment when compared to twenty years ago. And the Internet is part of that progressiveness. It is only natural that it would become a place to acquire knowledge on a broad spectrum, a place to express our freedom of speech, and a place to meet and interact with other human beings.

I am part of that progressiveness I guess. The Internet has been a place for me to meet other people, to meet other gay individuals. And like any other person, I am human. I do have my inherent fears still of the Internet. Obviously that would encompass the blog world. Fortunately, I have had a positive experience blogging to date. I think one element of blogging that has caught my attention, as of late, is monitoring my readership. I like seeing where my readership is coming from....is it local? is it regional? is it within the U.S.? is it from other countries? It gets me thinking, "why or how did they come to my blog." As of lately, I have found several repeat readers stopping by my blog. But these are readers that my sitemeter picks up...not readers that are identifying themselves openly through comments.

So, I have found myself wondering why are these anonymous readers coming back yet never stepping out to identify themselves and express their thoughts. Why not share your thoughts? If you have reached a point of wondering how this post is to conclude, here goes.
I'd like to take this opportunity to say to those of you who read my blog, but chose to remain in the background, come out...introduce yourself...share your thoughts and opinions openly...say HI! I know I have some readers from San Francisco, the San Francisco Peninsula, south unincorporated Orange County, and even San Diego that stop by regularly. If you fit the profile, I'd love to hear from you on my blog. I am pretty low key, generally shy initially, but love to make new acquaintances. Just come in as "anonymous," maybe type in your first name at the end of your comment if you are comfortable with it.

That's my post! Ya'll have a great weekend. Thanks to those of you that left the most gracious comments about my design work and skills in yesterday's post. I think it should help my self-confidence a tad. Hugs!

22 Comments:

At Fri Sep 29, 03:15:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lemuel said...

Tony, I just found your blog yesterday via your stop to mine. Obviously I'm back. You have a great blog. So your stats should note one visitor from the other side of the continent (eastern PA) here.

 
At Fri Sep 29, 04:56:00 AM PDT, Blogger Spider said...

Hi there! My name is Brett and I live in Florida - and I would love to get to know you...

 
At Fri Sep 29, 06:07:00 AM PDT, Blogger ..:: YNAGER ' 65 ::.. said...

I feel the same way, the site meter says I have had visitors from all over the world, but most never leave a comment. The ones that freak me out are the ones that say "UNKNOWN COUNTRY"....OMG are they space aliens, or BIG BROTHER????

 
At Fri Sep 29, 06:27:00 AM PDT, Blogger Brettcajun said...

I love my sitemeter account. I get to see how many people are actually reading my shit. By the way, I read your 100 things about Tony on Spider's blog. I knew almost all of it. I am still waiting for you guys to comeout with "The True Orlando Blogger Get-together Story". You guys have been holding out on us!

 
At Fri Sep 29, 07:34:00 AM PDT, Blogger Ur-spo said...

fantastic post! well said.
I am encountering the paradox of becoming as intimate with others via blogging as I have ever done in my life time - while wondering if I am really getting to know anyone. And is anyone really getting to know me?
what a world is here.

 
At Fri Sep 29, 07:40:00 AM PDT, Blogger digital t-square said...

Similar to damien, I'm more voyeruristic by nature. I read your blog partly because you post your class projects. Being in the profession, I like to see what "you kids" are doing these days.

A San Diego reader.

 
At Fri Sep 29, 07:54:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What San Francisco? Oh you know me.

 
At Fri Sep 29, 11:12:00 AM PDT, Blogger txdave said...

What an interesting post and blog.
Very attractive too, good format.

Since you like artsy, you may like my blogs which are unique.

I have several blogs, which have unique designs, hot color, large font formats, really different, and also great photos.

Hope you and your readers will take a look at something unusual, interesting reading to, some say.

http://browniesforbreakfast.blogspot.com

http://backbebetter.blogspot.com

http://assertivenesssucceeds.blogspot.com

With your eye for good design, I would be specially grateful for your comments on my blog.

Great clock b t w. I'll be back to your site.

 
At Fri Sep 29, 11:23:00 AM PDT, Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Hey Tony, yeah, I get readers from Turkey, Brazil, Phillipines, UK, Australia, etc. etc. it's always interesting to see that, I'm just happy somebody's reading my ramblings, I'm afraid to ask them to say something since I grew up under the mantra, "If you can't say anything nice..." well, we all know the rest, and I've even had some of the not so nice comments left.

But yours, I love your blog and thus have nothing but kind words to say, and if you'd ever like to have dinner or drinks or something to include another friend made in blogland than I'd be happy to do so!

Big hugs!

 
At Fri Sep 29, 11:49:00 AM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

totally awesome post! Funny I havn't thought to consider the scary aspects you brought up. I've got to set that thing up on my blog, ya'll have fun tracking things. Hope you have a great weekend Huggerz

 
At Fri Sep 29, 02:57:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Idea. I am going to have to use this on my blog soon so I can find out who some of my mystery guests are.

You Blogging Buddy from Texas just adores you.

 
At Fri Sep 29, 06:45:00 PM PDT, Blogger Joshua said...

My name is Josh and I'm a blogaholic LOL Yeah right! I'm one of those guys who is cautious and checking people out. I didn't start off on a postivie note with bloggers - but am giving it my best shot. I too wonder about those who just linger. Unfortunately I don't feel so positive about them! Wish you the best of luck with your new potential commenters :)

 
At Fri Sep 29, 08:45:00 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Well since you're asking for lurkers to reveal themselves, I am one. I'm of the mind that unless you're positively adding to the conversation, then there's not a need to add meaningless banter that leads nowhere. But I know I'm in a minority with that opinion. So at any rate, hello from the Emerald City.

 
At Fri Sep 29, 09:17:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tony said...

Well Chris....

Thanks for stepping out. I forgot I had someone from the 'Emerald City' area popping up occasionally on my sitemeter. So now I have an idea.

WELCOME. Stop by anytime...good luck in school. Obviously you know at my age I have been doing the school thing for the last three years retooling myself with a second degree for a new career...good luck on yours.

JOSH....you a blogaholic...nah! Maybe a glutten for punishment. ROFLMAO......I await the infamous 100 Things!

 
At Sat Sep 30, 11:32:00 AM PDT, Blogger Curtis said...

For me, being somewhat isolated from like minded fellows, the internet allows me to feel part of a larger community in a sense that I want to reach out to with open arms. I tend, however, to keep some emotional distance lately finding that if not kept in check I can make myself too vulnerable. It's a paradox.

 
At Sat Sep 30, 03:29:00 PM PDT, Blogger Jake said...

Someone from the IRS has been reading my blog everyday. Of course I would never know this if I didn't have an invisible counter on my blog.

 
At Sat Sep 30, 04:20:00 PM PDT, Blogger David said...

This will throw you, I read your blog in the UK, but your sitemeter today will show me as being san Francisco !
Good entry, David x

 
At Sat Sep 30, 08:02:00 PM PDT, Blogger The Untraveled Travel Guy said...

Your shy? I didn't know that? :)

 
At Sun Oct 01, 12:03:00 PM PDT, Blogger T-Bird said...

Gettng the Ask and Tell on my home site and uploaded the flat version of the collage that you are looking at in the trick foto.

Here is the url:

http://www.filelodge.com/files/1565/Ask%20and%20Tell%20flat.jpg

 
At Sun Oct 01, 04:36:00 PM PDT, Blogger Doug said...

Tony, Doug from Baltimore, here! I just made you my newest link! I read all about you on Spider's blog and I especially liked the 100 things. But you are on my daily roster now!

 
At Mon Oct 02, 09:34:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another lurker here ... an almost 25 year old forest firefighter and forestry ecologist living in Northern British Columbia, Canada.

Cooper :)

 
At Sat Oct 07, 09:00:00 AM PDT, Blogger The Untraveled Travel Guy said...

Curiously, once someone does identify themselves via comments, do you then have a way to know when they've looked at your site but not left comments thereafter based on the sitemeter?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home