Friday, May 05, 2006

I'M IN A "NEW YORK STATE OF MIND"










Don't know why, but I spent most of yesterday feeling much like I was in a 'New York state of mind.' All I could do was think about my trip to New York City nearly three weeks ago. I left for that city on April 7 remotely excited but extremely 'burned out' from school finals and term projects. Six days later I departed the City on a high that I have only felt a handful of times in my life.

What was it that put me in this mood? Was it the people? The entertainment one night at dinner listening to an Italian lady from Jersey blubbering on without a pause for nearly an hour. You know the lady at the next table had her eyes rolling to the back of her head several times - could it have been that this lady felt like the Jersey woman was a megaphone blasting into her ears. I'd say BINGO! Was it the incredible food? Those 5 inch-high deli sandwiches from Stages delicatessen or those incredible dinners at Angelo's in Little Italy and the Artisanal Restaurant. Was it the ride through Central Park in the evening? A moment of slipping away from the chaos of the streets into the vastness of the park's quiet wooded area. Was it the splendor of the old architecture that envelops New York City? A city skyline, that when viewed from the top of the Empire State Building, takes your breath away. Was it the diversity of cultural art events that the city presents? A definite here, having chosen to see Monty Python's Spamalot ~ a musical comedy with non-stop laughter for two plus hours. A must see! Was it the company that shared the experience with me? Having Pete come down from upstate New York and join my adventures was the 'capper.' A person to add some humor to the occasional lulls of the day.

I would have to say that all of these elements made my trip special, made it come alive! If only I could redirect the hands of time. But New York isn't going away that easily. I'll be back very soon. And when I say very soon, I am thinking late August/early September. So NYC, look out for me!

*The photos are courtesy of my traveling partner and fellow blogger, Pete, aka 'group photographer.' Thanks Pete. You can actually see a nice slide show set to music here at Pete's blog under the post, The Trip Part Deux.

3 Comments:

At Fri May 05, 01:23:00 PM PDT, Blogger Conor Karrel said...

I think the third from the top is my favorite picture. Great, ahem, composition.

Anyway, wonderful to see you had such a great time!

 
At Fri May 05, 03:42:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The trip was a blast. I have never seen the city like I did with you...The memories of this trip will last for a long time.

I am still talking about it.

 
At Sat May 06, 08:09:00 PM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

New York was a trip I will never forget myself, and still think about it often. Sounds like ya'll had a blast!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home