Monday, October 02, 2006

"WHAT WOULD YOU DO?" MONDAY (#4)

ANOTHER WEEKEND HAS COME AND GONE. WHERE DOES TIME GO?!

Found myself doing a little side project this weekend. My brother-in-law is in the processing of starting up his own company with a project that I think is simply killer...the more we talk about it, the product just seems to have so many applications it can be applied to which will make the average consumer's life simpler and potentially save the consumer money too. Anyway, he had me working on a logo for his new company. I gave him about 6 sheets with a variety of logos drawn up. He plans on sharing them today with a few of the people that he is assembling to be part of the company's managing team, etc. Then I'll know if there is any refinement needed. From there we'll nail color down. In any event, my payment may be a new Apple MacBook Pro with dual-core Intel processors. What does that mean? I'll be able to run both Apple's OSX system and also Windows...with that I can finally run CAD on my system since it is Windows-based. SWEEEEET!!! As for my brother-in-law's product, wish I could say what it was, but that's a secret for now! I'll say this...just imagine all the clutter of computer equipment reduced to a very nominal scene. Heck, some shares in the company might be better!

I have stalled long enough...it's time for
"WHAT WOULD YOU DO?" Monday.

Today's question is: If you just found out that your partner, boyfriend, parent, sibling or other significant loved one had 24 hours left to live what would you do with that individual in that remaining time? (You would be limited to doing something merely within the means that you could. And your loved one has not been ill - it's merely a matter of he/she being fine today but gone tomorrow.)

I think I will answer this questions in two parts. First, since I am single at the moment and my mom is probably the dearest person to me next to my siblings, all I would want to do is have the day off to share in my mom's favorite thing to do and to experience what I have enjoyed doing most with her. From my mom's perspective, I would be driving her around to see all the children and grandchildren in the area. To mom, we, her children, and her grandkids are what give her purpose for living. As for my moment, I'd want to just find some model homes in the area and meander through the homes with mom. We've done this in the past. And I love it. We'll sit and go through model homes, critiquing the design work, coming up with alternative design solutions, just bouncing a bunch of 'what-ifs' back and forth.

My second response to this question is - if I had a partner, all I would want to do is to be together holding each other at sunrise, to hold each other in a quiet shaded pasture for the day, to end the day holding each other even closer as the sun set and the stars came out, and ultimately, to be holding my partner as he fell asleep, knowing that I had told him a hundred times throughout that special day how much I loved him.

So there...you have my thoughts on this topic. Let us know what you would do in this unusual situation.

8 Comments:

At Mon Oct 02, 03:45:00 AM PDT, Blogger Spider said...

I can't think of a better way to spend that last day then you described in your second response - just holding them and telling them how much I love them... and being there at the end...

 
At Mon Oct 02, 04:10:00 AM PDT, Blogger Doug said...

Oh goodness. I would be a mess. I probably would cry and wail the whole day and end up not being able to do anything. I am horrible in crisis situations.

 
At Mon Oct 02, 08:50:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take the time off immediately and just be there forthem.

 
At Mon Oct 02, 11:39:00 AM PDT, Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Spending time, loving them, eating their favorite foods with them, listening to a particulary favorite piece of music while we held each other, just being there, I agree, that would be the best thing I can think of.

 
At Mon Oct 02, 06:04:00 PM PDT, Blogger Joshua said...

I would do what you did; and I'm pretty sure it would be the best making love; ever - if you knew this was it.

 
At Mon Oct 02, 06:47:00 PM PDT, Blogger Ur-spo said...

I actually think this way at times; what if today was my last day with Someone?
Being practical, our last day would consist of getting papers and things organized first. Then, it would be up to Someone to decide what would be nice for a last day.
May that day be long away

 
At Mon Oct 02, 07:38:00 PM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

wow, I decided to answer my question before reading your answer, then I'm going back to read what you write. Wow. this is hard because my mind becomes full in a moment. I think of family, I think of Mike, I think of friendships. Honestly I think of my Mema, I spent 24 hours with her the week before she passed away. I spent a whole day with her, in her best health, we just sat talking about life and memories, when I left the next day I kissed her, and she looked at me and said I could die a happy woman, and I said what are you talking about you are going to be here for many years. She looked at me and said I don't think so. I heard her but I didn't hear her. I hugged her again and told her I'd see her again soon. In two days she caught a cold died a few days later of heart failure.
So I think if I could spend it with my mom, I'd spending it telling her how much I loved her and talking and hugging as much as I could, about everything. Having her whole family with her, the same for my dad or sisters, or brother.
This is a hard one cause it hurts thinking about this stuff.
With Mike, I would do the things he loves to do, I would listen, because he loves to talk, I would hold him and hug him. Wow this is really hard. I have to take a break.

 
At Mon Oct 02, 09:28:00 PM PDT, Blogger Pete said...

I would spend time all day with them. Laughing, crying I'm sure, eating reminessing and anything they wanted to do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home