Saturday, May 13, 2006

A BIT OF THE DESIGN WORLD...ENJOY!






Thought that today I would give you a quick glimpse of the interior design work that I have done. Over the years my family and friends, even strangers, had expressed that I seemed to have an inherent knack for laying out and pulling spaces together, for selecting color, for mixing furniture and accessories. But I had always shied away from it. You know...the old stigma, "Isn't that a woman's work." A few years wiser, more self-confidence, and the old 'WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ME WHAT I CAN AND CAN NOT DO" attitude each helped in steering me in the direction I should have taken long ago.

What I show you initially are two pictures I found of the last place I owned and lived in. Keep in mind that I maintained the unit's white walls solely out of an expectation of selling it in a few years rather than out of liking that color scheme. In this particular case, and given the style of furniture I had selected, I would have much rather used color on the walls. I was attempting to go for an 'Old World' flavor. The two pictures are of my living room and of a portion of my kitchen along with the adjoining family room space. For me at the time, it felt like home. And well, lets say my vision ultimately helped in the sale of my townhouse. I had multiple offers on the unit the first day on the market and accepted one of them the same day. Escrow was initiated on day two. Not bad! According to my realtor, the prospective homebuyers thought the owner, me, was an interior designer. Not at the time!!!

The second set of photos are of a table setting that myself, another fellow design student, and two teachers arranged as part of fund-raising event for the Orange County Philharmonic Society this past November 2005. Our table was designed to reflect the 1930's Hollywood Glamour era. This was the second year I was involved in this fund-raising event and the second year that our school was given the top bill display window space in our trade sponsor's showroom. Of course our school's table has also been the talk of the event for the last two years.

So...you have seen glimpses of what I do and will be doing as I move on from school and into the real working world again. I'm excited and nervous. I hope to show you more of what I am learning as I continue my blog journey. Enjoy!

5 Comments:

At Sat May 13, 02:53:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!

 
At Sat May 13, 07:10:00 AM PDT, Blogger mattviews said...

Tony, you really write with your heart. Each post reveals more about yourself - keep sharing. :)

 
At Sun May 14, 07:53:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very beautiful babe.

 
At Mon May 15, 12:11:00 AM PDT, Blogger Joel said...

Damn...I think I need to hire you! Can we take it out in trade??? ;)

 
At Tue May 16, 03:19:00 PM PDT, Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the table display, just stunning. The best part though is the fact that everything shows it's beauty and yet the room itself is still very inviting.

I've known designers that make a room look fantastic but also like you don't want to sit in it, yours looks comfortable and elegant, very nicely done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home