Saturday, May 06, 2006

ONLY HURT, NOT FRIENDSHIP

For me this has been a long time coming. To date I have only shared this story and/or poem with the closest of friends. But I feel a need to openly share it now for two purposes ~ to place closure to a particular event and how it effected me and to perhaps introduce people to a bit more personal side of me. I have felt, as recent as this past month, a distance between some people who I have met. I know that I often come across as very reserved and quiet but part of this is my make-up and some of it is probably due to what I will discuss momentarily. I have been this way much of my life but as many of my friends know, I can be very much the opposite of what I have described. Once I feel comfortable with people, I can be quite the extrovert and conversationalist. I think you will ultimately see in this post that there is often a sensitive, caring, perhaps vulnerable person behind this facade.

And so I begin...

It was August of last year, 2005. It was about five months since admitting to myself that I was gay. Yes, this late in life. To make it short, I had spent numerous years absorbed in work and making money. I was having too much fun traveling as well. But I am comfortable with where I am at and where I might be going. So back to my story. I was coming off an incredible summer vacation and I was communicating with one or two new gay men, hoping to develop some friendships. That was really my goal at the time.

One night I was cruising the BMB site and came across a guy who really caught my eye. He had this lovable face and a nice muscle-build. I had to read his profile. Well, I was impressed. He came across as very intelligent and was extremely articulate. I found some commonalities. I then noticed he had a website. I clicked on it and that was my first exposure to the blog world. He had his own blog. I will not dispel his blog site for purpose of retaining his privacy.

I started to read his blog site by reading his most recent posts. I discovered then that he was recovering from a heart surgery. He drew me further into his blog and I read much of the archives. I discovered even more commonalities. There seemed to be a strong connection with family, he was successful in business, and he appeared open to making new friends based on how he had described establishing many of his friendships. Now mind you, APPEARED will become the definitive word here. I initiated a contact via email. He responded and I then opted to communicate occasionally by IM Chat. This type of communication went on for about one month. When we did chat, I was always the one generating the questions. He was always very open about answering them but he never asked me questions. It was much like this on every chat. I thought then that perhaps he was weak from his surgery and tired. I have an uncle that has had several open heart surgeries and I know how they effected him. In retrospect now, these may have been tell-tell signs that he was trying to pull back from future communication. And admittedly, while I really was looking for a friend, I think subconsciously I had some feelings for him. A mistake, having never met him or having spoken to him on the phone. I did try several times to get him to call. He would never address that question in any of the emails or in our IM chats, until the final email in late September, 2005. I had been in school for about two weeks, already growing a little stressed with the workload developing in what is for the most part an intense program.

In came the final email. I have decided to share a portion of it with you but will summarize the initial portion of the email. It is too personal and in fact, I am shaking my head as I am reading it again after not looking at it since October. It hurts. In the beginning of the email he thanked me for caring about him and his progress. Then he stepped into saying that he had grown uncomfortable with the level of intimacy of my last email to him. He clarified that statement by saying that I seemed to know too much about him and that he realized that he put himself out there when he began his blog. Well, what would one expect if you do blog??? Yes, in my last email to him I had said if you ever feel like calling, here is my number. And this is the last bit of the email he sent me verbatim, with the exception of the deleting of his name and cities he mentioned:

"To be VERY honest, I will never call you. While I appreciate your invite to do so, my new life is here in XXXXX and that is where I need to focus all of my attention - to people here in order to build my new life, as well as the people I left behind in XXXX in order to maintain my old life. Right now I don't have the inclination to begin any friendships with anyone who does not live near me. That might be closed-minded on my part, but that is how I see things. Thanks again for your encouraging words and for reaching out. I simply cannot return the favor. XXXXXXX(signature)"

As I read it, I could see he had no interest in being a friend, a gay friend I so desperately needed as my gay circle of friends was small. He had made so many friends that were out of his living area, why not me? He never once made an attempt to ask me questions about me. I was heartbroken! How could a grown 45 year old fall into this trap? I guess when you are stepping into new territory, you look for support. He was not open to it. I never once thought my emails were suggestive of a more intimate relationship ~ merely friendship. I shared that thought in a parting email to him. I was the gentleman in parting. To this day, I still feel he could have reworded his parting comments.

I went spiraling down from here. I was overwhelmed. As I said earlier, stress from school was picking up, a small social circle and lack of social life due to school was taking its toll, some other issues gone awry, and now this. I felt like I did back when I was in elementary and high school ~ beaten down. My panic attacks were kicking in again, something that I had not had for nearly a year thanks to medication. See... I suffer from anxiety. In the meantime, I grew further behind in school, quiz and test grades dropped. I thought I was going to have to drop classes to sustain some reasonable grade in my one key class at the time. It took increased medication, much needed support from two dear people, one, my best friend Joe and one, a selfless gay man on-line, Squatter, and a warm-hearted blogger, Rob, open to a new friendship to pull me out of my 6-week spiral of depression. But it ended. At the end of 2005, I made a promise to myself that I would never be quite this vulnerable again, that I would expand my circle of gay friends but that they would have to accept me for who I am. I realized I could be sensitive, emotional, passionate, caring, loyal, trusting and trustworthy, genuine, a romantic. I'm human. I am not perfect. I hurt.

To each of you, Joe, Rob, and Squatter(BMB #8515), I say thank you immensely for helping me as I fumble through this new territory. You are what I envision a friend to be.

So I finish off with the poem that I had sent this blogger who caught my attention for a moment, who generated only hurt rather than a much needed friendship. I had written it in hopes that it would lift his spirits given his surgery recovery, his moving to a new city, his leaving behind friends, his search for new work. Oddly enough, the poem now brings me comfort.

MOV'IN ON
- A Collection of Thoughts For a Friend -

Woke up today.
Mind focused, spirit lifted.
Heart racing.

Opportunity abounds.
But only with an open heart.
Growth, challenges, evolving friendships.

Momentary fear overwhelms.
It succumbs to happy thoughts.
Family, friends, lifetime dreams.

Time to pause.
Remember blessings.
Life itself, second chances.

With a smile step forth!
Beaming enthusiasm.
Teaming with energy.

The world beckons.
Absent prejudice and hate.
Seize it!

Hear a lone cry for help.
Listen! - Care enough.
Respond - give back graciously.

Ah! Love.
Hopeful and everlasting.
Relentless yet endearing.

With focus and commitment.
Hear the inner self elate.
"You've come so far!"

Step forth.
Head high.
Passionately embrace this new day.

But every so often remember...
"You've so much to do."
It's time to be mov'in on.

Author: Tony

10 Comments:

At Sat May 06, 06:29:00 AM PDT, Blogger Brettcajun said...

Tony... what you described to me touched a spot on my heart. You don't know how many times I tried and failed to make a friend in elementary, high school or college. It wasn't until I came out that I had an explosion of friends.

See, you and I probably rejected ourselves too much back then. We probably thought we were lucky to have a friend because even we didn't like ourselves. Sooo... we were probably acting like whack jobs to others. I first had to accept myself and learn to love myself before I met some really good friends.

Now, I go through life with the motto that I am going to be friends with people who want me in their life. It is so much nicer to be around people that really love everything about you. For those who don't like you... chalk it up as "THEIR LOSS". That is what I do.

I no longer drive myself crazy with "Why doesn't he like me? I don't understand it!?" I surround myself with my own cheerleading section of "Brett fans". And it feels sweet to be cheered on by such a great group of guys. And you are in that cheering section Tony. I am in your cheering section. Hey, I flew out to SF because you strongly urged me to, and I had a BLAST! So... here's to our friendship! BIG HUG!

Brett

 
At Sat May 06, 06:33:00 AM PDT, Blogger Spider said...

Friendships are difficulty at best to make, and even harder to maintain. I am sorry that he hurt and effected you this way - but as sorted lives and Brett said, it happen to us all as gay men living in the immediate gratification society that we do...

I know I speak for myself and the other two men on this page when I say, we will never do that to you...

 
At Sat May 06, 07:58:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very sad how your attempt at a friendship and maybe possibly something more, ended on such a horrible note. Unfortunately, these are the chances we take with meeting people, especially online. They might not be 100% as they apprear to be on their blog. Over time you will learn to find the true bloggers who are just like they portray in written word. Take these relationships slowly. I'm sure there's not one of us out there that hasn't at some point, done the same thing. Good people are out there. They just take some digging to find sometimes.

 
At Sat May 06, 08:04:00 AM PDT, Blogger Tony said...

Thank you Sorted Lives, Brett, and Spider for the kind thoughts!

Brett...you are fast approaching that special place of friendship which is omportant to me. You are an incredibly sweet, sexy person...maybe a bit of a "talker'(love ya bud!)...but none the less sweet and sexy. Thanks for opening your heart.

 
At Sat May 06, 08:15:00 AM PDT, Blogger Tony said...

Thank you too Mark for your thoughts!!!

 
At Sat May 06, 10:05:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While you and I have talked about this reading it made me cry. I think it's time to delete the email and put this in the past. I hope you have seen he is the exception as you have made some good friendships from blogging and the internet.

I know I have and you are one of them. A big bear hug from me bud.

 
At Sat May 06, 10:14:00 AM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

I hope we can build your confidence. You write with heart, I love your poem. I too am a quiet person at first. Your an awesome man and I'm sure anyone who gets to know you or is lucky enough to know you would find out. I'm sorry you had to go through this hurt. I write better prose when I'm hurting. Big tallnfuzzy hugs coming at you!

 
At Sat May 06, 09:48:00 PM PDT, Blogger J.L. Atoz said...

I would agree with every comment, and add that unfortunately the nature of the medium (the internet) does allow for some people to be misleading accidentally or otherwise. Good to see you got through this, and continued to focus on your studies.

 
At Mon May 08, 02:41:00 PM PDT, Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Thanks for sharing this Tony. I certainly can empathize. The poem is beautiful and touching.

I think all of us here are your cheering section. I'm happy to be among them.

You have a beautiful spirit, and don't ever forget it, especially when some heartless jerk decides to be an idiot. Seek solace in your friends and let them lift you up.

 
At Wed May 10, 06:11:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Tony---I feel as if I have been on both sides of your situation. In particular, when I came out I invested SO much in the new buddies I met online and was so painfully wounded when the friendship seemed to be a mirage that I still have scars. On the other hand, part of it is in the medium---we have no idea what has been going on in someone's life or in how many directions they might be tugged at once. In short, sometimes people come to the conclusion that they are over-extended and the newest, most distant or cyber buddies are the ones who get cut off first. It sucks, but I have found it helps me to not assume too much about someone else's situation, and over time, to forgive someone who probably didn't realize the extent of your pain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home