Thursday, May 11, 2006

THE BRUSH'S COLORFUL DAUBS ~ MISCELLANEOUS TIDBITS #1


As with most of us, we run out of thoughts to write about or things to share. Sometimes we simply need a breather! I am at the later stage since I need to get some school reading accomplished. So every now and then I will have simple posts just stating short miscellaneous bits of random news. Some tidbits may just be that... while others I may expand on at a later date ~ when the mood strikes me right. You will know when its a day of random news as I am giving this feature a lead name, THE BRUSH'S COLORFUL DAUBS. Thought this was appropriate as daub defined means: to apply coloring material crudely to. Bits of news, perhaps not complete in nature, that add to my life and to the life around me.


New School Term: I started back Monday night (5/8) with Ecology. It's taught from a designer's perspective. I will be creating a lighting design that uses recyled materials as part of my term project rather than writing on a specific topic and providing a class lecture, which some selected. Designing an accessory or piece of furniture from scratch will be fairly new to me. And I suspect fun, or at least I hope it will be. I just need to track down the resources for recycled glass, metal, etc.

Grades Posted: Well I got my grades for last quarter. I was ecstatic at the outcome. See I had one class, Computer Aided Design, that just gave me fits last quarter. By the third week of the quarter, all I wanted to do was pass the damn class. Just give me a 'C.' The final came. I walked out mortified at what my results would be because I came no where near completing it. The only thing I figured I had going for me was that I had keyed in on those items that I suspected the instructor felt we needed to know in order to be marketable for a job. Guess it paid off as I received a 'B' in CAD. I received 'A's' in my other two classes, Marker Rendering and Historical Preservation ( a studio class that involved presentation boards, research, marketing props, etc.). Think I am running at about a 3.8 GPA overall, so much better than the 2.3 overall I had received while obtaining my first Bachelors Degree.

School Accolades: Upon return to school Monday night, I discovered that my Historical Preservation boards (was teamed with one other person on this project) had been selected for the school's HALL OF FAME. The HoF is a location in the school where projects that are top quality are displayed for a quarter for all to see. The professors teaching the designated studio class select the best projects. I was also blown away that my Marker Rendering professor had selected not one but SIX of my colored perspective drawings to be on show in the Hall. I was beyond belief. Lets just say that several of my friend's were calling the area the Tony B. Hall of Fame. Needless to say I was turning a light shade of red. However, I stopped to think of my accomplishments for a moment. I realized that my main studio projects had appeared every quarter in the Hall but one (that would be 7 quarters so far). Quite a feat that I am proud of with no intent to sound like I am bragging. But I guess I am. I deserve it...I bust my butt every quarter.

Other Related School News: You probably remember my 5/8/06 DECISIONS post. Well, in all likelihood I will be finishing out my Bachelors rather than rapping it up this next quarter with an Associate of Arts. Thanks for all the encouragement you guys gave me on my post. I just hope it works out for me in the long run.

An Honor Bestowed: I have only been officially writing in the blog world for 14 days (reading longer as a 'blog groupie') and I have had the pleasure of being named another blogger's HUNK OF THE WEEK. You can click here if you are interested in seeing the May 10th post and don't happen to read Past, Present, and Future.

A big BEAR HUG over to Derek at Past, Present, And Future for such flattery!!

'IDOL' Public Blows It!: I'm sorry. I have to throw this comment in the mix. I am an American Idol junkie. I always get drawn into that show. Well last night's results were a shocker and, in my opinion, a major blow to the show. To the 'Idol' voting public...YOU BLEW IT BIGTIME!! Katherine should have gone home. And ultimately, Chris should have been walking away as the next American Idol. He's the most gifted, the most talented, the most trainable, and the most marketable. I don't think you will see any from the remaining group, while talented in their own way, as individuals being successful in any abundance. I hope someone sees Chris' talent and gives him a singing opportunity.
*********NEWS FLASH: 7:35AM, West Coast Time...it appears very shortly they will be announcing that Chris was offered, about an hour ago, LEAD SINGER SPOT FOR A MAJOR BAND. HOT!!!!! We'll know shortly. I won't be able to post it as I'll be in class. so scope the Internet out all you Idol junkies!!

Some Fun!: I happen to be reading Dan's blog, Turning Forty, in particular his 5/10/06 post and took this little quiz of his. He actually pulled it from another blogger he reads. These were my results:

You Are Lightning

Beautiful yet dangerous
People will stop and watch you when you appear
Even though you're capable of random violence

You are best known for: your power

Your dominant state: performing

If you are interested in taking it click on "What Type of Weather Are You?" above. Post the results in the comments section for all to see. Heck, it may reveal something about you to me!! I can't say my result befits my real personality because I sure am not violent. But the outcome is intriguing. Could I be moving over to the 'Dark Side.' Ok, too much Star Wars! I'll blame it on my 6-year old nephew who has had me watch all six of the movies at least 4-5 times EACH ~ I kid you not.

Well, this about wraps up the miscellaneous tidbits. I just want to say thank you to all those who are regulars on my blog site and even to those passing through the blog. It has been a great first two weeks! I hope you are gaining insight into my world and me. We all add our own 'Colorful Brushstrokes' to this wonderful mystery we call LIFE.

8 Comments:

At Thu May 11, 12:17:00 AM PDT, Blogger Joel said...

I am with ya on Idol...ugh...I can't even bear to watch from here on out.

As for the picture...I may have to send it to ya personally via e-mail. I have eshausted the arse...it is worn out...lol.

 
At Thu May 11, 05:47:00 AM PDT, Blogger Ryan said...

was it a shock really i mean come on chris was the same every week he never changed only thing that shocks me is that elliott is still there.

 
At Thu May 11, 01:46:00 PM PDT, Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Congratulations on the B! And for making the decision for your bachelor's!

As for Idol, well I know Katherine so I can't be sad that she stayed, however yeah, Chris was the only really gifted singer there.

Apparently I'm lightning too, who knew?

 
At Thu May 11, 04:08:00 PM PDT, Blogger mattviews said...

Congrat on your respectable grade! It's difficult to imagine you starting school again while I just wrapped up a long semester. My undergrads will be having their final exams next Tuesday, then the five of us (TAs) will have to grade the papers.

Not much going on during dead week, just holding office hours and helping the students with lecture materials. I'll start teaching summer class in July.

Fly out to Hongkong in early June to attend my younger brother's wedding. I'm in such a relief that he will carry the family's name! Phew! LOL

 
At Thu May 11, 07:13:00 PM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

we're all glad your here, congrats on the good grades. I was pissed too after last nights idol. Big hugs going out too you.

 
At Thu May 11, 08:09:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am wind. Strong and overpowering
A force to be reckoned with, no one dares cross you.
You have the power to change everything around you

You are best known for: your wrath

Your dominant state: commanding

My wrath? Believe me no one wants to see that.

 
At Thu May 11, 09:08:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tonito Bandito said...

Hey Tony, welcome to the blogosphere from another Tony!

Come on over and check out my little piece of the blogosphere in my wasteland. I am a regular reader of Scotty and Dan Turning 40 and Spider in Orlando. That is how I found you on the left coast.

Again Welcome!

PS: I too am a lover of interior design and architecture.

 
At Thu May 11, 10:22:00 PM PDT, Blogger Joel said...

Well I am sure you have hear cause it is all over the net but Fuel is the group though Chris says he wants to weigh all his options.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home