Sunday, May 07, 2006

MY BIG GIANT, LOVABLE MARSHMALLOW



Well, I guess I must be feeling sentimental and perhaps a bit blue now after determining what I wanted to post today. Last night while I was at my little sister’s house for dinner we were discussing pets. My sister mentioned how much she missed their dog. My brother-in-law and me both chimed in with the same comment. We had lots of laughs and good loving from him. So I thought I would share a very brief synopsis of him.

My little sister and her husband, who live nearby and with whom I had stayed with for a year during my first year of design school, had an absolutely incredible yellow Lab, named Ben (we actually liked calling him Benjamin). He was an English breed, which tend to run fuller than the American breed of Labrador. And he was one big giant, lovable marshmallow. I don't know a single child or parent that didn't stop and approach me, my sister, or my brother-in-law, commenting on how beautiful a dog he was. And of course, Ben soaked up the attention. He loved to nuzzle up with everyone. He loved the gardeners, the pool man, and thehousecleaningg ladies that worked my sister’s house weekly. He could never get enough of my niece and nephew.

As with any Labrador, if you are familiar with the breed, he was an exceptionally hyper dog his first two years ~ often mischievous, adventuresome, and curious. He also turned out to be quite an expense! Could it have been due to that car that collided with him, fracturing his right rear leg in two places? Could it have been that half of a box of poison rat pellets that he managed to pull off a shelf five feet above his head and devour? Could it have been all those chewed-up drip sprinkler heads? Hmmmm! Maybe just a “tad

But alas, I have used the word, 'was,' within the context of this post. Ben had to be put down about 20 months ago at the tender age of six years. It was bazaar. The vets could never come up with any accurate diagnosis for his problem. My sister, one morning around seven AM, just after I had stepped out of the shower, was screaming frantically for me. I could tell she was crying. I ran downstairs. She was gazing into the backyard, saying Ben was on the ground. From a distance I could see Ben was on his side on the patio. I darted out and discovered he was actually convulsing. Benjamin couldn't stop even as I was calmly petting him and telling him it was “OK.” Instantly it became a matter of what do we need to do. My sister and I asked some of the construction workers, who were working on my sister's house at the time, to help get Ben into the Suburban.

Off to the Vet Hospital. Ben was there for four days and underwent a myriad of tests. None could pinpoint anything specific though the doctors did think he had some type of heart issue, given its erratic beat. Benjamin came home with five different medications. They seemed to help but as soon as the supply was up, Ben started up again with moaning, breathing hard, and being lethargic. We picked up more medication, only this time he wasn't as receptive to them, either choosing not to swallow them or throwing them up. So it was back to a specialized pet hospital this time. My brother-in-law established a cap for the hospital and informed them that if nothing could be done within the monetary range, Ben would have to be put down. Well those doctors worked it right up to the limits but in all fairness to them, the doctors were in love with Benjamin and hated the thought of having to put him down. The hospital veterinarians even tried a few tests at their own expense. But nothing. Then my brother-in-law received the call he was hoping not to receive. My sister couldn't go ~ she was too attached, too emotional. Fortunately my 3-year old niece and 4-year old nephew had seen Ben the first night he went to the specialized pet hospital. My brother-in-law said he was fighting the tears but lost it when the doctor started to cry...yes that's the doctor. Guess you have an idea how special a dog Benjamin was.

I miss not seeing him. He used to keep me company on warm nights when I would slip out into my sister’s backyard patio to free myself from the house chaos, the stress of school projects, etc. I can’t express how much I miss that nose nudging into my lap or between my feet as I sat and relaxed. Ben really was a beautiful dog.

I miss you my big giant, lovable Marshmallow!!!

4 Comments:

At Sun May 07, 03:52:00 PM PDT, Blogger mattviews said...

I came back walking my little puppy George, an American breed of yellow Lab, and saw your post. Ben is so cute! George a little under a year old and he's been so energetic and adventuresome. He nuzzles up to everyone on the street and is now a neighborhood dog!

 
At Sun May 07, 05:38:00 PM PDT, Blogger The_Gay_Dude said...

what a cute doggie!!!! Almost as cute as the owner :P

 
At Sun May 07, 06:11:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To cute and so sad. I was sorry to hear this one. I will snuggeling up close to my boys tonight.

 
At Mon May 08, 12:25:00 AM PDT, Blogger Joel said...

Awww...sorry abotu your loss. He was beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home