Monday, June 05, 2006

TWO FOR ONE

We all love it when we can get a sweet deal, especially when it involves two for one. Two ice creams for a buck. Two cartons of eggs or milk for the price of one. We get this inevitable feeling as if we have conquered the almighty world of consumerism. A euphoric state.

But does this concept of two for one apply to everything in our lives? Have you ever wondered if you could be interested in and or falling for two people at the same time. Are you thinking impossible? I don't know about this being necessarily true. Can't two people possess similar or, for that matter dissimilar qualities that you find equally attractive? Can't they both be equally engaging? Can't you be equally drawn to them physically for very different reasons?

While I realize that only one can win out (*word choice not intended to mean a competition in the literal sense but rather a final choice) in the end, I do believe that you can find a caring relationship, perhaps love evolving itself, while getting to know and or dating two separate people. The hardest decision in my mind comes when one needs to ultimately decide which relationship he (or she) will focus his (her) energies so as to ensure that the relationship flourishes. To make that sudden disconnect with one of the two individuals, knowing that the bond, the attraction has been just as strong and passionate as the other relationship, would seem to be so painful. But I guess our choices in life aren't always that simple. (I should clarify in this last statement that I do not mean that a friendship must be given up when choosing one over another.)

So for me, I find myself taking one day at a time, keeping my heart open, my ears in check. And will see where and if I hop off the 'train' at one of the two destinations. Perhaps the destination is still further down the 'track.' But, oh, the sights are so beautiful!

6 Comments:

At Mon Jun 05, 08:14:00 AM PDT, Blogger Brettcajun said...

Okay, me and who else? Who is my rival?

 
At Mon Jun 05, 10:52:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only give you love that lasts forever,
And a promise to be near each time you call.
And the only heart I own
For you and you alone
That's all,
That's all...

I can only give you country walks in springtime
And a hand to hold when leaves begin to fall;
And a love whose burning light
Will warm the winter's night
That's all,
That's all.

There are those I am sure who have told you,
They would give you the world for a toy.
All I have are these arms to enfold you,
And a love even time can't destroy.

If you're wondering what I'm asking in return, dear,
You'll be glad to know that my demands are small.
Say it's me that you'll adore,
For now and evermore
That's all,
That's all.

 
At Mon Jun 05, 04:42:00 PM PDT, Blogger Greg said...

You should read "A Home at the End of the World" by Michael Cunningham.

I think you can love two people, but to be "in love" might be a bit more difficult.

 
At Mon Jun 05, 07:12:00 PM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

you definately see the beauty in each day, that I see for sure! I won't play tennis with Brett for you. :)

I think we can only choose what is right for us, and define love on our own terms. Interesting entry

 
At Mon Jun 05, 07:53:00 PM PDT, Blogger Pete said...

Follow your heart and no matter what remember you will always be my friend.

 
At Tue Jun 06, 09:13:00 AM PDT, Blogger Conor Karrel said...

I believe in polyamory, as I've actually been in love with two men at the same time. Our situation didn't work out, but I do know of trios (and one Quatro) that find loving more than one man is not only feasible but fulfills a ton of fantasies for everyone involved, so you never now, perhaps you find somewhere you won't have to give up either?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home