Friday, July 07, 2006

COMFORT FOOD


Comfort food. Something that soothes the blues and lifts the spirits when the time is right. And last night was just that...the right time.

The week was another drudging week of schoolwork even with the 4th of July holiday stuck in there. As, usual my body started to go into that retreat mode the minute I finished out my mock interview last night at 7pm. By the way, the mock 'taped' interview went well for all intent and purpose. I even got a quick, "Good job," from the instructor that was doing the interviewing. Mind you, that means I did ok but I am sure I will have plenty of feedback from my professor next week. Honestly, I was critiquing myself when I came out...then again what's new.

So back to the point of the article. My body was beginning its 'mellowing' state and I felt like chatting on the phone. The problem was I couldn't get anyone to chat long enough. Guess its not particularly easy when people live in another time zone and I am strolling in at 8pm West Coast time. Found myself feeling a little 'bluesy' afterwards so what did I do? I went looking for comfort food. While I have several comfort foods, there is one that always managed to make me feel good ~
SOUP. Perhaps it is the memories it rears from when I was a child. Seems like we were always having soup on cold, stormy nights or on those nights when one just needs to 'chill.' I like so many varieties and there is nothing like homemade soup. My dad made the best chicken broth with pastini and minestrone soup. I have a cabinet stocked full of Campbell's SELECT soups ranging from Beef and Roasted Barley, Split Pea, Mexican Style Corn Tortilla, and one of my all-time favorites, New England Clam Chowder. Top any and all of them with fresh-cracked pepper and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and I am feeling real good.

And last night it was Beef and Roasted Barley that soothed this man's blues and lifted his spirits. Almost like having a good cup of Maxwell coffee. Do ya'll have any particular favorite soup?

Have a Great Weekend!

9 Comments:

At Fri Jul 07, 05:14:00 AM PDT, Blogger Spider said...

New England Clam Chowder OR She-Crab Soup are my favorites... but homemade not canned... like Sorted, a good Lobster Bisque can curl my toes...

 
At Fri Jul 07, 06:42:00 AM PDT, Blogger ..:: YNAGER ' 65 ::.. said...

wjlaquwn
I have always loved tomato soup, and I got a recipe for home-made tomato soup from food network that ROCKS!!!

I also love a big 'ole batch of potatoe soup, it's mmm mmm good.

Have a great weekend T

 
At Fri Jul 07, 07:21:00 AM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

funny how we are on the same page at times, yesterday, the only thing I did when I got out of bed was put carrots, potatoes, onions and beef in the crock pot, I was craving beef vegi stew. And after cooking all day it sure was good, what I remember of it,the pain pills were kicked in good when I ate it, today is my first day trying not to take any pain pills to see if I can function without it, I'm doing ok so far, and I've been up almost 3 hours.

 
At Fri Jul 07, 08:37:00 AM PDT, Blogger Ur-spo said...

Soups are my favorite food to eat and to cook; so many combinations!
How about putting out a favorite recipe or two?
PS - are you going to the new "Pirates' movie?

 
At Fri Jul 07, 11:42:00 AM PDT, Blogger mattviews said...

Hi Tony, I always like soup. My favorite is borsch of Russian origin, but no one calls it soup there. History says that Borsch was and is one of the most popular dishes in Russia. It appeared at the end of the 18th and 19th centuries. The main ingredients are red beets and broths made from meat or fish, mushrooms, or smoked sausages. Plus, people used to and do use cabbage, onions, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, spinach, and sorrel. The sour taste it can have is because of the vinegar. My Russian friend makes it with cabbage and serves it with these yummy pancakes.

Have a good weekend.

 
At Fri Jul 07, 02:29:00 PM PDT, Blogger Pete said...

As the slogan says "Soup is good food" I love soup on a cold winter day. Anything but seafood will do. I am not a huge fish fan.

 
At Fri Jul 07, 05:45:00 PM PDT, Blogger The_Gay_Dude said...

Ok....well u've officially made me hungry! LOL

 
At Fri Jul 07, 09:15:00 PM PDT, Blogger The Untraveled Travel Guy said...

I think less of the soup itself and more of the fact that there are so many veggies I don't like on their own but if you put them in a soup I love them in that form. Celery is a good example of this. A fav for me is french onion.

 
At Sat Jul 08, 04:55:00 AM PDT, Blogger Brettcajun said...

My comfort food soup would have to be GUMBO! My mama cooks the best Gumbo. She'll throw in andouine sausage, oysters, shrimp, chicken and okra in her Gumbo. MMMMmmmm.... Mmmmm.... good. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home