Monday, July 03, 2006

DESIGN ~ COLOR IS BACK FOR ROUND 2



Back on June 7, 2006, I did a post entitled DESIGN ~ THINK COLOR IN YOUR SPACE. I had mention that I could go on and on about color. I made the decision to end my post where I did so as not to create too much confusion and or anxiety over its use. Well I am back with more on color.

I thought I would start by letting you know that there are basic categories of color that create color harmonies. The color schemes are:
monochromatic, analogous, complementary, and neutral. In a monochromatic scheme there is only one color in use but the lightness, darkness, and or strength of the chosen color may vary. Monochromatic color schemes are often used because they are soothing and create a sense of sereneness. Analogous schemes involve colors that are closely related to one another. They in essence sit next to each other on the color wheel. Analogous schemes tend to be a bit more dramatic than monochromatic color schemes. The complementary color scheme commands the most attention. The colors usually lie opposite each other on the color wheel. The last color scheme would be the neutral. Your neutrals would be your black, gray, and white. These colors can create depth in a composition, making other colors look brighter and deeper. They can, in essence, separate colors that clash or that are too strong. Neutrals even tone down complementary schemes in daylight.

To quickly give you examples of the first three schemes for color harmony I will use the color wheel which has the actual colors listed. They are based on the definitions of each that I provided above. Here they are:
Monochromatic - RED (using various shades of red, moving light to dark or simply maintaining one red tone).
Analogous - Red-Orange, Orange or Red-Orange, Orange, and Yellow-Orange.
Complementary - Violet and Yellow.

The additional color wheel I have is to merely show you that colors break down into multiple levels, all evolving from the three primary colors. When YOU are trying to create color harmony in your home, hopefully this tool can assist. Keep in mind that when using several colors, you want to generate a feel of rhythm to the design. You want a person's eye to travel around a space, a room, without there being a break in the travel of the eye. So remember to spot colors around a room. Don't distribute an additional color to one side of the room. If you do, the eye will stop there and not be interested in any of the other elements in the room. The color can be spread around a space through additions of materials, accessories, etc.

Well, now you have some rudimentary knowledge of color. Hopefully you find it helpful for some project down the line. There is so, so much more to color and color combinations that also sets a variety of moods. But I think this is more than sufficient for the average 'do-it-yourself' individual. Any questions, let me know. Enjoy!





5 Comments:

At Mon Jul 03, 05:59:00 AM PDT, Blogger Spider said...

That bottom diagram looks like some kinda gay cult symbol... I have heard about you boys in Southern Cal... the wierd stuff you get into - next thing you know you all will be screwing around with banana splits..

 
At Mon Jul 03, 06:05:00 AM PDT, Blogger ..:: YNAGER ' 65 ::.. said...

LOL SPIDER...very cool, I like the first image especially.

 
At Mon Jul 03, 06:37:00 AM PDT, Blogger Jack said...

Hey Tony!

LOL Spider!

I love the first pic.

Your post brings me back to school when I studied Photographie.

Bye T!?

J

 
At Mon Jul 03, 06:57:00 AM PDT, Blogger digital t-square said...

I usually shy away from using (too many) colors in my projects. Not because I don't appreciate color, but because I don't fully understand it. Functionally, I understand color. Meaning, I know how different colors affect a space physically and pshychologically. But when it comes to aesthetics, I prefer that the Interior Designer select the color pallette.

 
At Mon Jul 03, 07:29:00 AM PDT, Blogger Tony said...

Dearest Spider....
HOw do you know we aren't already playing around with banana splits or don't have the intention of. I never knew color had anything to do with it! LOL.

Dig. T2, Your my kind of client if you intend on giving an Interior Designer (like me) free reign to chose you color palette, within reason.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home