Sunday, July 02, 2006

IS MY 'AMERICAN DREAM' REALLY WITHIN GRASP?


Today I spent a chunk of my time running around taking care of mostly school-related errands. First I ran to the bank to make that desperately needed transfer of funds to my checking account thanks to the monthly rent being due. Yes, I have to be that good responsible American that pays his bills timely. Then it was off to Kinko's to make reduced copies of the building plans we received in our Senior Project class. The reduced plans will get cut up and become the foundation for my building's mock model. I then headed out to get some styrofoam, foam core, cardboard, and several paints. These items will be used to create the blocks that will represent various spaces in my commercial/residential building.

Once I completed the run of errands, I plunked myself down and did a little drafting of some ideas I have for the spacial organization of my building. Nothing is final yet. Still variations to explore. At about 4pm I took care of one other personal item. Then I cooked dinner. The weather here in Southern California has been absolutely hot for the past week, ranging from 85-99 degrees where I live specifically. Since the weather was so nice. I decided to sit outside, eat my dinner, and enjoy my margarita. Well, two margaritas later, I was gazing across my sister's backyard (you've seen her house in my earlier May 24, 2006 post called
A Sorted Pictorial: A Place I Called Home For A Year...), soaking up the greenery, the tranquility of the space, catching the subtle shouts of kids in neighboring yards having fun in their pools, watching the hummingbirds buzz around the yard's trees and flowers. I was in another world, wondering if I would ever own a house even remotely 1/5th of their house and yard. My sister's house feels like such a home even if it is a bit large for my personal tastes. But here I am at 46 starting over with a new career and considering partnering at some point to form a design corporation, perhaps a dicey chance. All I have ever owned have been townhomes, and their environment have never given me a sense of home or personal satisfaction. Seems like an insurmountable task to get over the financial hump to move me into the house shopping category.

Come to think of it now, why am I even worrying about it. Life is too short. I have to believe I will have reasonable success in the design field and if it is meant for me to own an actual house, it will happen. If not, then I'll go on and enjoy what I do have. There are always other dreams to aspire for or obtain. Wouldn't you agree?

Hope ya'll are having a great weekend.

6 Comments:

At Sun Jul 02, 06:54:00 AM PDT, Blogger Jack said...

Hi Tony!

"At about 4pm I took care of one other personal item."

Hey man, any time any where. But this is the first we hear of it today. Did you postpone it all day?

lol

Ok.

You are absolutly right here. Enjoy what you have and what will come. Cause more will come.

You are pretty talented from what I can see. And if you lay the charm with that face of yours, watch the clients come rolling in.

Have a good week-end.

Have fun!

J

 
At Sun Jul 02, 12:44:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony - home is where you make it - not the dwelling but the love and comfort you create - believe me, it is true!

 
At Sun Jul 02, 12:44:00 PM PDT, Blogger Spider said...

That last one was from me... blogger burped

 
At Sun Jul 02, 04:48:00 PM PDT, Blogger Ur-spo said...

yes, I would agree.

 
At Tue Jul 04, 06:04:00 PM PDT, Blogger Pete said...

Just set your goal, develop a plan and try to stay focused to reach your goal and you can get there.

 
At Wed Jul 05, 08:34:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the feeling, Tony, although I have always thought (from my one experience) that home ownership was a bit overrated. The only thing I miss about it is the tax break!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home