Thursday, October 05, 2006

WORD PLAY ~ ENVY

ENVY

Pronunciation: 'en-vE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural envies
Etymology: Middle English envie, from Anglo-French, from Latin invidia, from invidus envious, from invidEre to look askance at, envy, from in- + vidEre to see -- more at WIT
1 : painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage
2 obsolete : MALICE
3 : an object of envious notice or feeling [his new car made him the envy of his friends]


It's Wednesday WORD PLAY - A DAY LATE! My bud's 100 THINGS post took precedence yesterday. That would be Smiley of course! Anyway, you know this post generally is short and sweet. So I am firing today's word at you now...it's envy. Thought I'd just go with last week's little theme of the seven cardinal sins! Plus I know you guys can come up with some 'doozies' on this word.

Usage: I envy the guy who can just walk into a bar he has never frequented, feel comfortable, and strike up a conversation with a total stranger...an incredibly hunky stranger. Come to think of it, I envy a few things: like the fact that Mark from Zeitzeuge got to have his picture taken with my favorite male hunk, Jack Radcliffe. Check his pics out from the Folsom Street Fair; like the fact that one crazy Cajun is basking in the sun of St. Croix showin' his 'bum' (you bum!-hehehe!); like the fact that my friend Rob can be off his weightlifting schedule for some two years, lose weight, gain some of it back after starting up weight training, and look like Mr. Musclebear all over again...but even better in only 8 months (I'll double-'bum' you on that!).

Again, the "play" portion...any comment you leave must use the word envy in it. Your response can be about anything ~ the post, me (watch it!), something about you, something happening in your life. Knock yourself out thinking of something serious, humorous, or off-beat to comment about. Just have fun with it!

15 Comments:

At Thu Oct 05, 04:44:00 AM PDT, Blogger Jake said...

My dear Tony, I am one of the guys you envy. I never meet a stranger and can start a conversation with anyone ranging from a homeless person to a celebrity.

If I didn't have a jealous ex, I would have gotten a picture taken with Jack Radcliffe too, and you would envy me after I showed you the picture.

 
At Thu Oct 05, 06:05:00 AM PDT, Blogger Ur-spo said...

From Ovid -

She headed straight to Envy's squalid quarters,
black with corruption, hidden deep within
a sunless valley where no breezes blow,
a sad and sluggish place, richly frigid,
where cheerful fires die upon the heath
and fog that never lifts embraces all.
Arriving here, the warlike maiden stood
before the house (for heaven's law denied
her entrance) and with her spear tip rapped
upon the doors, which instantly flew open,
revealing Envy at her feast of snakes,
a fitting meal for her corrupted nature;
from such a sight, the goddess turned away.
The object of her visit sluggishly
arises from the ground where she'd been sitting,
leaving behind her interrupted dinner
of half-eaten reptiles. Stiffly she advances,
and when she sees the beauty of the goddess
and of her armour, she cannnot help but groan,
and makes a face, and sighs a wretched sigh.
Then she grows pale, and her body shrivels up.
Her glance is sidewise and her teeth are black;
her nipples drip with poisonous green bile,
and venom from her dinner coats her tongue;
she only smiles at sight of another's grief,
nor does she know, disturbed by wakeful cares,
the benefits of slumber; when she beholds
another's joy, she falls into decay,
and rips down only to be ripped apart,
herself the punishment for being her.

 
At Thu Oct 05, 06:06:00 AM PDT, Blogger The Persian said...

I would have to agree with your envy, I am always the shy one at the bar who has waits for guys to come to me.

Have you ever considered contributing to HNT?

 
At Thu Oct 05, 06:07:00 AM PDT, Blogger ..:: YNAGER ' 65 ::.. said...

I was so envious of you, that I missed the Florida Bloger Get-Together...I can tell from the pictures that you all had a great time.

 
At Thu Oct 05, 06:53:00 AM PDT, Blogger Spider said...

I envy Stroker's really big penis. SEE, I told you not to dare me! LOL

Honestly, I envy your relationship with your family, your commitment to your religion and your dedication to your friends...

 
At Thu Oct 05, 09:16:00 AM PDT, Blogger Doug said...

I am envious of anybody that does not have to work today, but alas, I have to go in. And I am envious of anybody who has the courage to go to a bar, PERIOD. I hate crowds!And I am sure there are at least 12 other things I can think of, but I will keep this one short!

 
At Thu Oct 05, 12:17:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lemuel said...

Ve got home from verk envy vent to da shtor ta fetch zom stoff.

 
At Thu Oct 05, 03:18:00 PM PDT, Blogger DiamondFistWerny said...

I too was envious over the Florida blogging convention. Even more envious over the Orlando Pride thing! Grrrrr LOL

 
At Thu Oct 05, 03:21:00 PM PDT, Blogger Joshua said...

Well now I have another envy!!!! I'm envious of people with better computer skills than I. Because the message from the guy just above this one that says, "Steve" was me!!!! He just finished blogging a story from my computer. LOL

 
At Thu Oct 05, 04:57:00 PM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

I envy Jack Radcliffe's bar of soap in his bathtub and shower.

 
At Thu Oct 05, 06:05:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Envy is deadly and to be avoided in one's self and in others at all costs.

 
At Thu Oct 05, 06:58:00 PM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

did he post that picture of him and Jack damn I didn't notice everyone mentioning Jack till after I posted my last comment.

 
At Thu Oct 05, 07:04:00 PM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

I love that picture of you on 4hourseman's

 
At Thu Oct 05, 11:42:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know that I truly envy anyone, because I don't think it's a very good trait to have. But I really wish I had the ability to talk to people with confidence.

Okay, I do envy Heath Ledger for getting the opportunity to even fake butt f*ck Jake Gyllenhaal.

 
At Sun Oct 08, 02:42:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had sex with Frank M., aka Jack R., a few times. He had a thing for me when I was with Chuck. Does that make you envious?

It shouldn't.

Tony, if you want to meet Frank let me know. He has a bf, but I could probably drag him to dinner alone :o)

As for getting my muscle back - I am still working on it, but the nice thing is that it comes back easier the second (or third, or fourth) time than the first!

Hugs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home