Monday, July 10, 2006

FRIENDSHIP


Friendship is such a blessing in one's life. It's a true necessity. It's what keeps us energized, mentally healthy, challenged, and gives us a sense of purpose. Think of what life would be like without a friend, without someone that you could hold in affection and high regard, without someone with whom you could share your deepest feelings with and not feel judged. Simply said, somone that you can shoot he sh*t with , laugh, cry, or whatever other mood fits the situation.

Yet there are those out there who are isolated in some way from this most precious of blessings. I often stop and reflect on this. And many times I am overwhelmed. See I have never had a large group of friends. Part of it was me isolating myself because I didn't see individuals fitting into my mold of a friend, someone with similar life values and morals. I have grown out of that stage though I still, on occasion, protect myself from certain types of individuals such as those into drugs, those into an overabundance of alcohol (Mind you I like to have a good time like the average Joe but I am not into the drunkenfest of every day or evening drinking.). But I have digressed a tad. Friendship is often companionship that replaces immediate family ~ family that some have never had, that some have lost due to death, or that some have chosen to separate from because of differences. I feel for those that don't have friewndship to fill the void of immediate family. Life can be overwhelming without this means of grounding and very, very lonely.

Well enough of my drivel. I am just thankful and happy for my expanding network of friends, many of whom are you, my readers, who I have met or will be meeting. My hope is that the foothold of friendship with each of you will take root, and be the foundation for building a lasting relationship. So how do you view friendship? Cheers!

8 Comments:

At Mon Jul 10, 05:57:00 AM PDT, Blogger ..:: YNAGER ' 65 ::.. said...

Much like a family many friends have the uncnditional love thing, tried and true.

Great post T-

 
At Mon Jul 10, 06:18:00 AM PDT, Blogger Brettcajun said...

Friendships are very important. Showing kindness to others, and receiving that back in kind does wonders for the heart. I value all my friends.

I look forward to the day we shall meet again. You need to get your butt down here to New Orleans. We would have lots of fun! ;)

 
At Mon Jul 10, 07:38:00 AM PDT, Blogger mattviews said...

Trust me, your drivel is still way more seasoned than the presidential speech. lol

Friendship lays in the core of humanity and personal development (forgive me for the serious tone...) I think my friends have contributed to my pruning. They are the spiritual support and the source of comfort in times of trouble. They also expand my persepective to the nuts and bolts of life. They have been with me through some of the most heartreding trials:

my mother's passing
my coming out (maybe not heartrending, but liberating)
my deciding to change career

Friends bring out the the other side of me that I would have otherwise forfeited.

Thanks for the post.

 
At Mon Jul 10, 07:43:00 AM PDT, Blogger Ur-spo said...

Doch! (German for spot-on!)
When I started blogging I didn't realized that this would lead to a wide range of new potential contacts and friends like you; turns out to be one of the best parts of blogging.

 
At Mon Jul 10, 08:31:00 AM PDT, Blogger Jack said...

Very true!

Very nice!

 
At Mon Jul 10, 09:05:00 AM PDT, Blogger Spider said...

My friends are one of the most precious things that I have - they are more my family than my family is... lovers come and go, but your friends love you regardless... and that is a wonderful thing...

 
At Mon Jul 10, 04:10:00 PM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

thanks T! Your wonderful, sorry if I sounded loopy today, the drugs were just kicking in.

 
At Tue Jul 11, 01:05:00 AM PDT, Blogger brandon said...

Ever since graduating from college I've lost touch with friends one by one. The convenience of living on the same campus and sharing the same classes kept us together, and without them we have meandered down our separate paths. A lot of times I feel I'm the only one who makes an effort to keep in touch these days, and I wonder why that is. But I am grateful for the loyal friends I do have, even though they may live far away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home