Tuesday, December 26, 2006

"THE DAY AFTER" and "HOW DO YOU LIKE IT? (#30)" TUESDAY

Another Christmas has come and gone. Somehow it always seems so anti-climatic. But none-the -less this was an incredible Christmas for me. Our family traditionally draws one person and buys one gift for him or her with a set spending limit being established. This year we were to forego it as some individuals in the family were having tougher years financially. I say 'suppose to' as my little sister, her husband, and my mother chose to keep the tradition going by playing Santa Claus'. Needless to say I was perturbed but grateful. 'Santa' brought me some clothing items, some cash, and the real big surprise, my new LG EnV cellphone (my sister and brother-in-law's gift to me).

But what made me the most happy was merely having my family in my presence, sharing the commonalities we do have - our faith and our love for each other. I sat looking at my nieces and nephews, thinking "where has all the time gone?" This holiday is really about recalling the PAST in hopes of setting the path for the FUTURE. I'm not going to try to explain myself as it ties in with my faith (as you know I tend to retain privacy on that element). I am so fortunate for this blessing. The other item that was the 'feather in the cap' was speaking with friends and exchanging well wishes. This year I chose to thank a few close friends with simple gifts because their lives, their spirit, their generosity, their friendship has impacted me in so many ways. Admittedly the giving of the gifts brought me some pleasure but the greatest pleasure I received was merely hearing their voices. I miss not having them in my daily life in some physical location nearby.
Hmmm! I could go on but I suspect I need to shift gears over to the other portion of my post today. So without further ado....
It's time for another Tuesday "HOW DO YOU LIKE IT?" I'm curious about something so I have this question for you:
How do you like to spend your day after Christmas?

I realize that there may be some people who do have to work the day after Christmas so tell us how you would like to spend it if you had the day off. Me personally, I don't know anymore. I used to love to hit the stores the day after Christmas. I know...you're saying, "Is he nuts? Join in with all the chaotic crowds." What can I tell you. I use to love hitting the Macy's and Nordstrom's Day After and Semi-Annual Men's Sales, respectively. However, the last five years or so I have found no interest in doing it. I'd rather now sleep in and have a day of leisure. Not sure if it's age creeping up on me, my lack of interest these days with being current on fashion, or some combination thereof. If I had my way, I'd like to be lounging by a roaring fire surrounded in utter silence. Bliss!

So, care to share your thoughts on this topic.

14 Comments:

At Mon Dec 25, 11:47:00 PM PST, Blogger David said...

sounds like you had a really had a really special time, glad you enjoyed it.
Today I am up early as I didnt overindulge yesterday, going to take down the Xmas cards, put the Xmas cds away and go for a walk on the beach with a few pit stops at Starbucks and maybe a beer.

 
At Tue Dec 26, 05:07:00 AM PST, Blogger cola boy said...

Well, this year I'm working the day after Christmas, but I usually like to just think about what I did this past season, cherish the good memories so they can hold me over until next year's.

 
At Tue Dec 26, 06:10:00 AM PST, Blogger Spider said...

I am at work today - but thinking about what a wonderful day it was... and still figuring out how to work my new toy...

 
At Tue Dec 26, 06:36:00 AM PST, Blogger Doug said...

I'd rather spend my day-after-Christmas not working. Alas, 'tis not meant to be. ;(

 
At Tue Dec 26, 06:37:00 AM PST, Blogger Ur-spo said...

hohoho
well, fine! Be that way! Choosing food and family over things of real value like chacha heels.
I am at work, waiting for the the dreadful day to begin.
If I had this Boxing Day off, It would be a day of doing NOTHING.
A fireplace, a book perhaps, and a nap.
My have I gotten old.

 
At Tue Dec 26, 08:32:00 AM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

We are spending it the way we love it... laying on the sofa having cocktails and unfortunately watching a horrible gay movie...

 
At Tue Dec 26, 09:07:00 AM PST, Blogger Doug Taron said...

My Boxing Day tradition is to take a drive around Cape Ann. We stop at various ocean overlook points and scope out the various species of ducks that are just off shore at this time of year. However, this year my partner and I are feeling that we really need some exercise, so we will probably leave shortly for a walk in the woods.

 
At Tue Dec 26, 11:44:00 AM PST, Blogger Greg said...

Good to hear you had a wonderful time with the family.

I'm at work the day after Christmas. :( Fortunately, I get to leave in 20 minutes to see Dreamgirls with my boyfriend so it all works out.

 
At Tue Dec 26, 04:52:00 PM PST, Blogger A Lewis said...

So glad to hear your day was cool....yes, it is not good when "no gifts" turns into somebody buying them for somebody. Uncomfortable. Check out my site for what we did yesterday.....Ick. Big winter Christmas hugs, Tony! I don't know what Nordstrom will do without you.

 
At Tue Dec 26, 05:25:00 PM PST, Blogger Mike said...

Just another day at work for me, but certainly not blogging from said place of employment, like certain people.

More End Of Year Inventory for me.

 
At Tue Dec 26, 06:18:00 PM PST, Blogger Jake said...

Usually I always work the day after. This year since I had vacation time I had to use or lose...I took the day off. I enjoyed sleeping in and relaxing. I may start a tradition now of taking off.

 
At Tue Dec 26, 07:14:00 PM PST, Blogger Pete said...

Naked. You asked...

 
At Tue Dec 26, 08:45:00 PM PST, Blogger Maddog said...

When I am not working or traveling, I'm all about a day of leisure. If there are left overs in the fridge, a movie on the TV and me on the couch...what more could you ask for.

Glad you had a nice Christmas.

 
At Thu Dec 28, 04:19:00 PM PST, Blogger DEREK said...

I would have loved spending it sleeping, but I ended up driving home the day after Christmas! Have missed you! You suggested that video ipod, now he's on the computer all the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home