Wednesday, December 13, 2006

WORD PLAY - WITH A TWIST!

DEFINITION

noun:
1) No silly! Today's word is not
definition.
2)Gotch'ya!!!

So what do I have up my sleeve? Today's Wednesday
Word Play is truly playing with words or rather word phrases. It probably will even test your memory. Give me a line from your favorite Christmas carol and by all means, if the title is not evident in some manner within the line, let us know the carol. And if you have a story behind the choice, by all means, please share it.

Guess I'll kick things off. I have to admit I found myself laughing last night with Spider as I was trying to get ideas for my post. I got on a roll with some lines and lets just say I was getting a bit warped. Example:
Deck the halls with balls (oh I mean boughs) of holly....

My choice of a line from a carol is "Do you see what I see?..." WOOHOO!! (Ok Tony, don't go there. Hehehe!) That line is from DO YOU HEAR WHAT I HEAR? I just remember dear ol' Bing singing it with that deep voice of his...it really stirred the emotions for me at Christmas.

And you?


Do You Hear What I Hear?

Said the night wind to the little lamb,
do you see what I see
Way up in the sky, little lamb,
do you see what I see
A star, a star, dancing in the night
With a tail as big as a kite
With a tail as big as a kite

Said the little lamb to the shepherd boy,
do you hear what I hear
Ringing through the sky, shepherd boy,
do you hear what I hear
A song, a song, high above the trees
With a voice as big as the sea
With a voice as big as the sea

Said the shepherd boy to the mighty king,
do you know what I know
In your palace warm, mighty king,
do you know what I know
A Child, a Child shivers in the cold
Let us bring Him silver and gold
Let us bring Him silver and gold
Said the king to the people everywhere,
listen to what I say
Pray for peace, people everywhere!
listen to what I say
The Child, the Child, sleeping in the night
He will bring us goodness and light
He will bring us goodness and light

15 Comments:

At Tue Dec 12, 11:31:00 PM PST, Blogger Joshua said...

Unrelated response to your comment. I'm leaving it here because I can't remember the password to my email account at the moment. This is a DEFINITION of illness:

When I have a voice, I'll talk on the phone Tony LOL. I haven't been able to speak since like Saturday. Very sick, still. Never had pneumonia before - it's quite a zapper. I think the worst is the total loss of appetite and constant sleep. I think I'm sleeping like 22 out of 24 hours with intervals of getting up for like 5-10 minutes here and there - to drink, eat, shit, and shower LOL; o and let the animals out.

 
At Wed Dec 13, 03:41:00 AM PST, Blogger Lemuel said...

I do love so much Christmas music that it is hard to select. I will choose a line from a song of the same title. I rarely hear it. I first heard it sung by Julie Andrews (whose voice I adore!) on a Firestone (as in the tire) C'mas LP in the 1960's. The line is "I wonder as I wander out under the sky." As I recall the first verse is:
I wonder as I wander out under the sky
How Jesus the Savior did come for to die
For poor ord'n'ry people like you and like I.
I wonder as I wander out under the sky.

 
At Wed Dec 13, 04:43:00 AM PST, Blogger Spider said...

my favorite verse from a modern carol - "Merry merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Darling..."

She had a such a beautiful voice - her deatn was such a waste...

 
At Wed Dec 13, 07:19:00 AM PST, Blogger cola boy said...

Here's my favorite verse:

You might hear some reindeer on your rooftop
Or Jack Frost on your windowsill
But if someone's climbing down your chimney
You better load your gun and shoot to kill

It's from the classic Weird Al Christmas Song, "Christmas At Ground Zero"

 
At Wed Dec 13, 08:03:00 AM PST, Blogger Ur-spo said...

we have powder and shot
to conquer the lot
we have cannon and ball
to conquer them all

- try to guess what old Christmas carol that one comes from!!

 
At Wed Dec 13, 10:50:00 AM PST, Blogger Mike said...

No one sang "Do You Hear What I Hear?" as good as Bobby Vinton. That's the truth.

 
At Wed Dec 13, 12:17:00 PM PST, Blogger Joshua said...

That would be "The King" Urspo - My Mother did that song on one of her albums years and years ago; and I have fond memories of her singing it during the holidays - at nightclubs.

 
At Wed Dec 13, 12:55:00 PM PST, Blogger Greg said...

From Christams Time is Here by Vince Guaraldi:

Snowflakes in the air
Carols everywhere
Olden times and ancient rhymes
Of love and dreams to share


I've always loved "A Charlie Brown Christmas," and the music that accopmanied it.

 
At Wed Dec 13, 01:12:00 PM PST, Blogger Joel said...

The one thqat always gets me in teh mood is Carol of the Bells. Hark how the bells, Sweet silver bells, All seem to say, Throw cares away. So appropriate in my life too.

 
At Wed Dec 13, 03:46:00 PM PST, Blogger Doug Taron said...

I can never think of these things under pressure. I'm sure that I'll come up with something later wakking up in bed when half-spent was the night.

 
At Wed Dec 13, 04:50:00 PM PST, Blogger rodger said...

"Fall on your knees....oh hear the angel voices!"

Yes...for that line alone I have always love "O Holy Night". You don't even have to change the words.

 
At Wed Dec 13, 05:57:00 PM PST, Blogger DEREK said...

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum

 
At Wed Dec 13, 07:39:00 PM PST, Blogger The Persian said...

my favorite :

In the meadow we can build a snowman,
Then pretend that he is Parson Brown

He'll say: Are you married?
We'll say: No man,
But you can do the job
When you're in town.


:)

 
At Wed Dec 13, 09:00:00 PM PST, Blogger rodger said...

Ah...so Derek cums on command. I like that! heh heh

 
At Wed Dec 13, 09:35:00 PM PST, Blogger Ur-spo said...

Joshua!
I am impressed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home