Wednesday, November 29, 2006

WORD PLAY ~ BUT

BUT

Main Entry: 1but
Pronunciation: 'b&t
Function: conjunction
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English butan, preposition & conjunction, outside, without, except, except that; akin to Old High German buzan without, except; akin to Old English be by, ut out -- more at BY, OUT
1 a : except for the fact [would have protested but that he was afraid] b : THAT -- used after a negative [there is no doubt but he won] c : without the concomitant that [it never rains but it pours] d : if not : UNLESS e : THAN [no sooner started but it stopped] -- not often in formal use
2 a : on the contrary : on the other hand : NOTWITHSTANDING -- used to connect coordinate elements [he was called but he did not answer] [not peace but a sword] b : YET [poor but proud] c : with the exception of -- used before a word often taken to be the subject of a clause [none but the brave deserves the fair -- John Dryden]
- but that : THAT -- used after a negative [there is no doubt but that it must be done]
- but what : that...not -- used to indicate possibility or uncertainty [I don't know but what I will go]


Ah yes! Another hump day, thank goodness! I already feel whipped (watch those minds of yours) and we' re just stepping into Wednesday. Just get me to this very time next week and I'll have a smile on my face. My Art History class will have concluded and school winter break will be upon me. Yippee! But wait that won't last too long as I have that darn Studio Project to get busy on...the class that I dropped this past quarter. Oh well, I am not going to think about that just yet.

Let's get moving with Wednesday WORD PLAY! Today's choice is a play off last week's simplicity of 'verbiage'...just three letters. As with last week's word choice, today's word can leave us or someone else feeling a bit in doubt or it can provide another option or 'out.' So with that said, the word for the day is but
.

Usage: I had so many options for choice of words today but none were as appealing as 'but.' I just kept thinking of all the directions this word could be taken. And yes, I know some of you may be so bold as to take 'but' and put a whole other spin on it. No boys, we are not talking about 'but'ts today but I must confess, the thought had crossed my mind!

Again, the "play" portion...any comment you leave must use the word but in it. Your response can be about anything ~ the post, me (watch it!), something about you, something happening in your life. Knock yourself out thinking of something serious, humorous, or off-beat to comment about. As always, just have fun with it!

14 Comments:

At Wed Nov 29, 04:20:00 AM PST, Blogger Mike said...

I'd like to play, but I gotta get my butt in gear and go to work.

 
At Wed Nov 29, 04:25:00 AM PST, Blogger Jake said...

I could have gotten laid twice last night but both were creepy.

 
At Wed Nov 29, 05:03:00 AM PST, Blogger DEREK said...

I'm really horny, but I'm running late for work so I better get my ass to work.

 
At Wed Nov 29, 05:36:00 AM PST, Blogger Spider said...

"... one day it's kicks then it's kicks in the shins, but the planet spins and the world goes 'round and 'round and 'round, the planet spins and the world goes 'round and 'round."

Just thought your blog could use some showtune lyrics!

 
At Wed Nov 29, 06:17:00 AM PST, Blogger cola boy said...

Take the word "but". Add a "t", a "p", an "l", a "u", and a "g" and you got a party!

(My word verification today was sammice...weird)

 
At Wed Nov 29, 06:20:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

INTERESTING POST

 
At Wed Nov 29, 06:45:00 AM PST, Blogger Ur-spo said...

when I make proposals for people to better their health/lives, I often get the 'yes, but..' response. "but" is not a good word.
I'll take 'butt' rather.

 
At Wed Nov 29, 07:21:00 AM PST, Blogger john said...

Today may be Wednesday, a hump day, but we still have two more days to endure to get tothe weekend.
Happy Hump Day!!

 
At Wed Nov 29, 07:54:00 AM PST, Blogger David said...

"I've never been young and beautiful. Oh, I've been beautiful, and God knows I've been young, but never the twain have met."

 
At Wed Nov 29, 09:22:00 AM PST, Blogger Joshua said...

I got your phone call BUT I was on an airplane - so I didn't get your call until about 4 hours later. I was in Seattle BUT I wanted to rent a car and drive down highway 101; visiting all the bloggers - and of course you. BUT my time-frame wouldn't allow that. I went to Seattle unexpectedly as my realtor found, on a whim, my 'perfect home'. BUT we know that things like this are usually a farce :P

 
At Wed Nov 29, 10:02:00 AM PST, Blogger The Persian said...

I joined a Gym two weeks ago, but have yet to go.

 
At Wed Nov 29, 12:42:00 PM PST, Blogger Doug said...

I want to play, but I don't have the energy.

 
At Wed Nov 29, 03:43:00 PM PST, Blogger Conor Karrel said...

I'd stuff zebras down my pants but people would get confused whether I was coming or going.

Or as it was just pointed out to me, I'd be happy to say that Naughty Santa and I will be together at Pistons Saturday night but that could make me Mrs. Naughty Clause and I'm not sure I can handle that commitment.

 
At Wed Nov 29, 05:11:00 PM PST, Blogger Mike said...

David said...
"I've never been young and beautiful. Oh, I've been beautiful, and God knows I've been young, but never the twain have met."


Torchsong Trilogy!!!

It's hell being old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home