Wednesday, November 22, 2006

WORD PLAY ~ IF

IF

Main Entry: 1if
Pronunciation: 'if, &f
Function: conjunction
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gif; akin to Old High German ibu if
1 a : in the event that b : allowing that c : on the assumption that d : on condition that
2 : WHETHER
3 -- used as a function word to introduce an exclamation expressing a wish
4 : even though : although perhaps
5 : and perhaps not even -- often used with not
- if anything : on the contrary even : perhaps even




Wednesday WORD PLAY is up again! Today's choice is rather a simple word...just two letters. But such a small word with so many meanings and contextual uses. Who would imagine that such a basic word could create so much doubt in an individual's mind. So with that said, today's word is If.

Usage: 'If' is such a simple word. If I knew that I was talented in interior design years ago, I would not have wasted any time in learning the necessary skills to have been successful early. Live and learn. If I had sufficient income, I'd invest some of it in my own 'branding' line of design to incorporate furniture, accessories, fabrics, linens, and much more. If I knew this word 'If ' was going to depress me like it's doing with all of the doubt created in my mind, I would have never chosen it for today's WORD PLAY. LOL.
Again, the "play" portion...any comment you leave must use the word 'If ' in it. Your response can be about anything ~ the post, me (watch it!), something about you, something happening in your life. Knock yourself out thinking of something serious, humorous, or off-beat to comment about. Just have fun with it!

15 Comments:

At Wed Nov 22, 01:57:00 AM PST, Blogger Jake said...

If I had taken an Ambien last night I wouldn't be awake at this hour reading blogs. I'd be fast asleep still.

Happy Thanksgiving Tony. Drive safely and try not to cuss all the way to the Bay area.

 
At Wed Nov 22, 03:03:00 AM PST, Blogger Lemuel said...

All I can think of right now is a song by a group called Brobdingnagian Bards called "If I Had a Million Ducats". And if I did, I think I'd arrange to have all the great bloggers come to a big log cabin the woods and we'd all sit down to a Thanksgiving feast together... even you, Tony. :) [ESPECIALLY you, Tony!]

 
At Wed Nov 22, 04:58:00 AM PST, Blogger DEREK said...

I liked Jake's but my ambien story is different.

This was one of my storied back when I was taking ambien.

If I hadn't taken that ambien, I wouldn't broken my big toe.

 
At Wed Nov 22, 05:25:00 AM PST, Blogger Doug said...

If I had a dollar for every doubt that goes through my mind, I'd be able to afford a therapist to help me deal with the doubts.

 
At Wed Nov 22, 07:21:00 AM PST, Blogger Spider said...

If? Because...

 
At Wed Nov 22, 07:37:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

IFs, ands and butts (I'd take the butts!). Let's see (look closely):
Indescretion Freaking rocks
Indy Five Hundred is not my thing
Insecure Forever
Is France our friend?
Icicle Fritatta
I Freaking dig naughty boys
And IF my silly comment could go on and on, you'd all shoot me before long

 
At Wed Nov 22, 07:42:00 AM PST, Blogger David said...

If ifs and ands were pots and pans, there would be no need for tinkers !

 
At Wed Nov 22, 08:33:00 AM PST, Blogger Ur-spo said...

I try not to dwell on the 'what ifs' in my life as they drive me insane. I look towards the 'ifs' of the future.
If you haven't left for home yet, have a good drive!

 
At Wed Nov 22, 09:55:00 AM PST, Blogger cola boy said...

If Judy Garland and Liberace had ever had a love child, her/his name would be colaboy!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

 
At Wed Nov 22, 12:00:00 PM PST, Blogger Conor Karrel said...

If given the choice of having your true love for only a day or never meeting them at all, I'll take that day of true love.

 
At Wed Nov 22, 04:17:00 PM PST, Blogger rodger said...

"It's as if we never said goodbye."

Just singing a few showtunes here, as if you folks didn't recognize the tune.

 
At Wed Nov 22, 05:51:00 PM PST, Blogger Doug said...

I will really be upset if you don't have a wonderful thanksgiving. (and IF I make it through another one I will be extremely grateful...)

 
At Wed Nov 22, 07:42:00 PM PST, Blogger Joshua said...

"If a picture paints a thousand words - Then why can't I paint you -
The words will never show -
The you I've come to know"

or something like that LOL.

One of my favorite Bread songs!

 
At Wed Nov 22, 10:14:00 PM PST, Blogger Maddog said...

If only I had...

If only I had...

If only I had...

I could sit and dwell on these things but it doesn't get me anywhere. I try to just live in the present and appreciate the good things that I do have and know that I where I am in life is exactly where I am supposed to be.

 
At Wed Nov 22, 10:18:00 PM PST, Blogger rodger said...

If I were a carpenter, and you were my lady...

Whoops...damn you Joshua!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home