Sunday, November 12, 2006

"WHAT WOULD YOU DO?" MONDAY (#9)

Well...I don't know about all of you but I had a respectable weekend. I managed phone conversations with Pete, Derek, and Spider this weekend. During our chatting we talked about all getting together sometime in the coming year for a vacation...perhaps somewhere off the coast of Florida, perhaps D.C., perhaps New York, perhaps somewhere in a mountain cabin off in Tennessee. Somehow I think we'll make it happen. I also got my daily text message updates from that darlin' but crazy Cajun from Luz'iana, BrettCajun. In singles and doubles, he lost in the first round of the Winner's bracket but came back strong in the Loser's bracket to make it to both finals. Unfortunately his legs just had no more energy in them. Now Bretster, didn't I tell you in the past you needed to pick up the cardio. Just kidding bud! Great effort on your part.

Anyway, I have digressed a bit from today's post. It's Monday and it's time again for my "WHAT WOULD YOU DO?" post. Today's post is:

If you saw that a long-time and/or very good friendship was beginning to wane, what would you do?

I realize that this question could be approached in several ways but I am going to leave it stand as is so that you can interpret and respond to it as it applies to you. I actually have had several long-time friendships that go back to my high school days, diminish over the years. For me, it has been a heart-wrenching trip. Most of you probably have a good sense of how important my friends are to me and how I value those that are still apart of my life. Anyhoo, the friends that I was just referring to were both good high school buddies and one went on to be my room mate in college freshman year. They became part of my family extension. As we graduated from college, work seemed to dominate our lives. Then my college room mate married. We didn't do much together after that and my contact with him became limited to the holidays. Even then the contact became one-sided...me always initiating it.

My other friend, lived closed by, and ran his own deli. It was extremely successful. He was perhaps my closest friend. That changed when I moved from the San Francisco side of the Bay Area over to the East Bay. I was about a 45 minute to an hour drive from him. Our contact became more of a phone call escapade. He put extremely long hours into his deli and eventually moved and commuted from Woodlands to his work location. Lets just say that Woodlands is about an hour and a half drive to San Francisco. He had to go another twenty minutes from there to get to his deli. Phone calls became infrequent and we were down to a Christmas card exchange. Again, this diminished to a one-sided contact at Christmas...yes, me sending the card. I finally got a card one Christmas out of the blue. It was a personalized photo card and right smack on the photo was a picture of him and his new bride from four months earlier. He talked about how happy he was and also about what my dad used to tell him on finding a woman (all this coming from a friend who did not even show up at either my dad's wake or funeral). My best friend, even though the communication had waned, did not even give me the courtesy of a call to tell me he was even engaged (I would have been perfectly fine not being a part of the wedding given the time lapse...it was just the lack of letting me know of the change.). At the very moment I finished reading his Christmas card, I let go of the friendship. I have not corresponded since...he knows where I am currently. So if he desires to reach me, I welcome it then. But I think we all grow tired after awhile when someone can't even exchange a simple, "Hello. How are you doing?" by means of their own volition.


My answer to the question then of 'what would I do?' is: as long as I sense there is still a viable connection between myself and my friend, I will make every effort to maintain that friendship, initiating calls, trying to set up some fun gathering event, whatever. But if there is no reasonable reciprocation, then I chose now to devote my efforts to other new, evolving friendships, to family, and to personal endeavors. Mind you, I don't hold animosity or a grudge against the friend. I just recognize that life is too short, and sometimes everyone has to refocus there energies in areas where they are welcomed. Make sense?

Hopefully I haven't hit you with another heavy topic on a Monday morning like last week, but you know, the mind needs some good stimulation every now and then. So what better way to get the brain jumpstarted?!


15 Comments:

At Mon Nov 13, 03:19:00 AM PST, Blogger Lemuel said...

Wow, Tony, I think for me this is a long post in and of itself. I'll try to cut the comment short. Most of the friendships I had in high school or college have long since vanished. It may seem unbelievable, but my very best friend (from h.s.) is still such - even though I have not seen him face-to-face for over 20 years. It is similar with my last college roommate. But on the other side I have a friends from both h.s. and college that I dropped. The friendships had waned and then suddenly began to flourish. In both cases I quickly discovered the cause for the rebirth: they wanted to use me (and our "friendship") to enhance their business and fortunes. It ended each of them very quickly.

With another college friend and his wife (also a college friend), our friendship blossomed after college and then waned a bit as they moved around. In a crisis in my own life they appeared almost out of nowhere and were a sign of hope when I needed it most. Within the last couple years he got into trouble and is now in jail. I learned of it and struck up a regular correspondence. I want to be there for him as he was for me.

 
At Mon Nov 13, 03:55:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friendships are like life. Some are long, some are short. Being the traveling nomad, I've no friendships that have lasted longer than a few years after I moved.

Besides, it is easier to hide from the FBI if you discontinue all contact.

 
At Mon Nov 13, 04:23:00 AM PST, Blogger Jake said...

I've learned over the years that family are the only ones who are in it for the long haul with you. I have a lot to say on the subject but don't have time right now. I've got to get ready for work. I'll comment again tonight.

 
At Mon Nov 13, 05:06:00 AM PST, Blogger Spider said...

I guess I have learned that each friendship is a gift - and while some are short term and others extend over many years, the important thing is what the experiences that you share, the memories you gain and how much better they make your life.

 
At Mon Nov 13, 05:23:00 AM PST, Blogger J.L. Atoz said...

I think that everyone changes, and because of that friendships can be transient. I dont have anything to do with people I was in high school with, I dont even have anything to do with people I was at university with. You sort of move on to new things,and meet new people. That said I have a few good friends, that I have known for years, and although we might not see eachother that often, when we do, its as if no time has passed. You have to have things in common, if there is no common ground friendship is always going to be difficult.

 
At Mon Nov 13, 06:10:00 AM PST, Blogger Ur-spo said...

Friendships (alas) evolve, and some fade, despite our best intents to keep them together.
It is very hard to honestly say 'look I am not interested anymore, so let's stop trying OK?"
I 'hear' this in others via a coolness and lack of recripocation.
Usully I take the hint early; after a few attempts at on my part, I mourn the loss but stop trying. This person has moved on. And so should I.

 
At Mon Nov 13, 07:43:00 AM PST, Blogger Doug said...

I have always felt that the best friendships are those that can come and go as we move through life. My best friends are people who I may not see or hear from often, but when we do re-connect, we pick up right where we left off.

I don't have expectations of my friends for constant communication or regular updates about their lives.

 
At Mon Nov 13, 11:31:00 AM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

People change, friendships evolve. Life is fluid. The more important point is to celebrate the good times, forgive and let go of the bad times and hold in your heart the best parts of your friendships.

I felt the same leaving everyone I knew in California to move to Seattle where I knew no one. I tried to keep in contact over the distance, but things don't always work out. At first I was hurt, but then the above realisation came upon me and I realised that it didn't much matter. I'm glad of the friendships I've had in the past and thankful to those people who've enriched my life, though we're on different paths now. So the world turns.

 
At Mon Nov 13, 11:49:00 AM PST, Blogger Joshua said...

My best friends have been in my life since the diaper days.

New people come and go in my life - but it takes a long time for it to go beyond acquaintaceship (if that's a word LOL).

This is because I take things slowly.

My inner circle are like brothers - and you I don't just let anyone reach this 'status'.

It sounds like your past friends were like that.

It would sting to have received that Xmas card.

 
At Mon Nov 13, 11:51:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tony,

Sometimes friendships do wane, whether it be location change, recent new interests, or one of literaly dozens of reasons. Though there are times when people clearly move in seperate directions, and as sad as it is to see a friendship wane, I also see the changing nature of a friendship as something that is not always negative, but more of moving on and growing in personal directions.

Friends I have made at various life stages, are, for the most part still friends, though communication and interaction have changed dramatically due to life circumstance. When I look at my core group of close friends, they are usually, but not always, close by. Interaction and communication is consistent.

Having said that, there are those special connections where you can go months, even years and not personally connect, but the strength of the initial bond is so strong you just pick up where you left off. I think of my friend Donna in LA. When I worked overseas it would be many months without contact. Her first words, through her laughter, when we finally did connect were something like "so where did you just spend the last six months. Last time it was Russia".

For me the key is being open to letting a friendship follow its natural direction.

 
At Mon Nov 13, 02:02:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny most of my honest friends are in Washington DC. I think it is because those people were simply closer and more family than anyone I have ever met here in San Francisco.

I joke that I think it has something to do with East Coast people being thick skinned and hard headed and softies on the inside versus West Coast being mellow mentality and hard hearted on the inside... But somehow I do not think it is a joke actually. hmmmm

 
At Mon Nov 13, 05:04:00 PM PST, Blogger DEREK said...

I think of the friendships I've had through the years, the true ones are still there in some way, and I think I am too, if they need me. It starts so slowly sometimes it's just too late to even realize it's waning, but if it's someone I truly care about and want to keep in my life, I just do everything I can, but sometimes letting go is something that you have to do, even if you love them.

 
At Mon Nov 13, 06:34:00 PM PST, Blogger Pete said...

Friendships are what you make of them. Most of the people I call friends I can go 6 months without talking to, pick up the phone and our conversation leaves off right where we left off.

It's nice. It would also be nice if they lived closer but so much stuff gets in the way of people's lives now a days that I think friendship is something we don't have the time put the amount of effort into making them work.

 
At Mon Nov 13, 08:39:00 PM PST, Blogger Jason said...

Friendships are one of those things I hold dear as well. It is difficult at times to look back and think of the friends I no longer have contact with. I've learned it's a part of life, growing up, finding our own paths.

I try to treat people how I want to be treated. I look for the good, even though some its very hard to find, and sometimes I come across as gullible because of it. My tolerance for bs has waned over the years though.

There are a few people that I wish I knew what they were doing now. I think some people come into your life for a reason, for a certain amount of time. I've learned some of the biggest lessons in my life from people I knew very briefly. It's weird I guess. O.K. this is turning into my own post. lol. Great post, its a thinker :)

 
At Mon Nov 13, 09:29:00 PM PST, Blogger The Untraveled Travel Guy said...

Great post Tony. You've actually inspired me to write a post for the first time in about two weeks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home