Wednesday, November 01, 2006

WORD PLAY ~ CONTEMPLATE

CONTEMPLATE

Pronunciation: 'kän-t&m-"plAt, -"tem-
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -plat·ed; -plat·ing
Etymology: Latin contemplatus, past participle of contemplari, from com- + templum space marked out for observation of auguries -- more at TEMPLE
transitive verb
1 : to view or consider with continued attention : meditate on [contemplate the vastness of the universe]
2 : to view as contingent or probable or as an end or intention [contemplate marriage]
intransitive verb : PONDER, MEDITATE
synonym see CONSIDER
- con·tem·pla·tor /-"plA-t&r/ noun


Another hump day is upon us so it's time for Wednesday WORD PLAY. Since we often find ourselves doing acting this way by this time of the week, thinking about the weekend ahead, I thought today's word should be contemplate.

Usage: Sometimes I find myself in a mood that just seems out-of-sync for the day. I was in a funky mood yesterday, contemplating what my friends mean to me, wondering if everything in their lives was in order, thinking of ways I could help them if it was needed. I was even contemplating what my life would be like now if all my dearest friends lived in "my backyard." Y'all know what I mean!?!

Again, the "play" portion...any comment you leave must use the word contemplate in it. Your response can be about anything ~ the post, me (watch it!), something about you, something happening in your life. Knock yourself out thinking of something serious, humorous, or off-beat to comment about. Just have fun with it!

8 Comments:

At Wed Nov 01, 03:52:00 AM PST, Blogger Lemuel said...

I cannot help but contemplate how much fun it would be to be around you.

 
At Wed Nov 01, 03:59:00 AM PST, Blogger Jake said...

I woke up early this morning in order to get a head start on leaving for work, because I have to change parking garages. Ever since Friday when I picked up the new parking card, I've been comtemplating how I'm going to change my route. The garage is a few blocks away whereas I used to park right across the street from the building.

 
At Wed Nov 01, 05:16:00 AM PST, Blogger DEREK said...

I am sitting here trying to contemplate an excuse of why I'm going to be late since I'm sitting here commenting on the word contemplate.

Have a great day!

 
At Wed Nov 01, 05:29:00 AM PST, Blogger Spider said...

I tried to contemplate my navel last night but I could not see it - and to see it I wouuld have had to contemplate getting out of bed to go to the bathroom to use the mirror and that would have taken me out of my contemplative mood... so I was going to contemplate Hampton's navel until I realized she doesn't have one - so I sat in bed and contemplated that...

 
At Wed Nov 01, 08:48:00 AM PST, Blogger Ur-spo said...

I like the word comntemplate.
It sounds introverted and with process of the Self and word around us.

 
At Wed Nov 01, 11:33:00 AM PST, Blogger Conor Karrel said...

I contemplate whether I'll ever look as gorgeous as Tony, or my beautiful G. Maybe someday?

 
At Wed Nov 01, 11:35:00 AM PST, Blogger Doug said...

I've been in a pissy mood since last night, and I woke up this morning contemplating taking the day off. I am also contemplating what causes my random pissy moods, because being pissy pisses me off.

Hmm...seems I used 'pissy' more than I used 'contemplate,' but at least it's there.

 
At Wed Nov 01, 02:58:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to contemplate my navel, but alas it is just a hole in my belly. I would like comtemplate what it would be like to live near Tony, but if I started contemplating that, I might just pop a woody, and if I did that, my boss, might start contemplating ending my internet access.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home