Monday, October 23, 2006

"WHAT WOULD YOU DO?" MONDAY (#7)

Hopefully my posted pictures on Friday's blog entry made up for the lengthy commentary. But as I had said in my opening statement, my first Pride experience was important to me. I wanted to share it. So now reality sets back in as I start my first full week back home, doing my internship work and hitting the books head on in my Art History class. And alas, the mondaneness of my life stomps forward again, with unclear sight as to what lies ahead. I so miss the companionship of my friends. This is the one time I am probably thankful for cellphones. I can at least stay in touch 'whenever.' I miss ALL of YOU GUYS and you know who you are.

I have one big dream and that is to get all of you in one location for one hell'uva time! Do you think I can pull it off? Honestly?! Game for Hawaii?

Now let's get to today's post. It's Monday! Hopefully you all had a great weekend. It's time again for my "WHAT WOULD YOU DO?" post. Today's question, I hope, is meant to be thought-provoking. It is:

If you had an opportunity to make one lasting impression to the world, one that you would always be remembered for, what would you do?


I laid in bed last night thinking about this. I so often do. See part of what stirs inside me, that eats at me daily it seems, that makes me restless, is finding my purpose here in this world. In reality I know what it is and my faith speaks of it. But I guess I have always had a bit of the "Doubting Thomas" syndrome. See, I tend to place a need for some acknowledgment on my accomplishment - the human side of me I guess. I can't begin to explain how many times I have come close to doing some volunteer work for a few years in a place like Africa, India, or South America doing some type of work with underprivileged children to enrich their lives, to provide them with a moments peace and dignity, to place a smile on a face so often left hollow and empty. But inevitably, fears have overcome me. Fear of being in harms way, fear of leaving my own family behind, fear of my health, fear of the loss of personal comforts. But do you see how really these fears are drown from selfishness of sorts. I wish I could step beyond those fears. I keep thinking that there is a world out there so much richer for me. Am I making some sense here or merely rambling? Anyway, my desire would be to make myself available to help underprivileged children and if that lead to some type of remembrance for my actions, all the better.

Maybe one day, after digging deep within for that courage, I'll go for it! Who knows, maybe my answer lies here in my own 'neighborhood.' So let me hear what you'd do to be remembered.



11 Comments:

At Sun Oct 22, 11:53:00 PM PDT, Blogger kevin said...

Oh yes Tony, i AM that horrible orange colour! Im off to have a good bath to try and scrub a top layer of skin off!

On your site it has the official seal of the californian bloggers. What is that?
Kev in NZ.

 
At Mon Oct 23, 03:34:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not big on having to define myself by one great deed.

I like to think that we all contribute, one way or another, to the enrichment of the people in our lives. It just may not be obvious at the time.

 
At Mon Oct 23, 03:44:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lemuel said...

I'm not quite sure what the event / discovery / deed would be except that I would want my impact to be postive and I would want it to be something that brought people together. I guess I am more in the school of "greatness thrust upon" us to know what I would do. Even so I am convinced that I will never be "world famous". I am not sure that I would really want to be. Therefore I will be content to do something positive in my own little world.

 
At Mon Oct 23, 03:54:00 AM PDT, Blogger Spider said...

While one event would be significant and very exciting, that opportunity only happens to a very few people. I have chosen career paths that while paying very little, have had the opportunity to impact individuals in many different ways... and hopefully in a very positive way.

I guess I think that in this respect, maybe it is the "little things" in life that make the differences... and all of us can do the little things... Such is the life of someone who went into the Social Services field!

As for Hawaii... sounds like a sweet idea - give us plenty of lead time to save for airfare!

 
At Mon Oct 23, 09:56:00 AM PDT, Blogger Spider said...

BTW - what makes you think that you have not already had a tremendous impact on other peoples lives already..

 
At Mon Oct 23, 12:11:00 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Never just one huge thing. I'd rather make the best of a bunch of little impressions on a lot of people.

I'd rather have it known that the people in my life, and the people I have met and come to know, know that I have loved them unconditionally and simply for the person that they are.

When we act out of uncondition love, great things can happen.

 
At Mon Oct 23, 02:40:00 PM PDT, Blogger Doug said...

Never been to Hawaii, but would love to go!

Regarding my lasting impression:

Overall, I try to compensate for the assholes in the world wherever I go. I'm a good tipper, I'm extremely friendly to wait staff and service personnel, and I try to make them smile. I try to avoid causing hassles for people. I've even defended airline personnel from nasty passengers. Mean people get my blood boiling.

I admit that I probably don't have the courage to drop my life and become a full-time volunteer. I have considered working with Habitat for Humanity locally, and I've considered working for the local AIDS support group, but those are very part-time endeavors.

 
At Mon Oct 23, 04:03:00 PM PDT, Blogger Pete said...

Well unfortunately Hawaii is far too expensive for me. I'd love to go but I don't see it happening.

As for leaving a lasting impression on the world if you do it in infamy you will be remembered more than if you did something great.

I also don't think it is something you can set out to do, it's just something that happens.

 
At Mon Oct 23, 06:28:00 PM PDT, Blogger Ur-spo said...

I doubt I will have one event per se; but I hope that my job in general is 'one event'. I have spent my adult life trying to alleviate pain and grief so people can be better/feel less sorrow. Occasoinally I get someone who actually says "gee, you saved my life"; it doesn't happen often but often enough to make it worthwhile.

 
At Tue Oct 24, 05:08:00 PM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

Man what a meaningful post, I'm going to have to think on this one some.

 
At Tue Oct 24, 06:58:00 PM PDT, Blogger Joshua said...

We're all searching for our purpose, thanks for sharing your thoughts on it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home