Friday, October 20, 2006

MY SPECIAL MEMORIES ~ ORLANDO PRIDE WEEKEND

I apologize for the late Friday post but there was a blogger issue that prevented me from finishing out my post last night. Warning in advance...this is a longer post than I have been doing...but then again it's my blog and it's about an important event in my life since coming out!

So my first Pride has come and gone. I can't begin to tell you how much fun I had. I am certain that some of those bloggers and their partners whom I met in Orlando for the first time this past weekend had other impressions. Admittedly I was more reserved than normal. But there were two reasons. I was meeting a new group of people who I really did not know much about and secondly, probably the primary reason for my 'quietness,' was that I was soaking up the entire experience. I absolutely could not believe how many people were at Pride. All I kept thinking was, 'My gosh, if this is how big it is here, I can only imagine how large the event is in places like New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, and Los Angeles."


But let's step back for a moment. I spent five days in Orlando - so what did I do? Thursday was primarily a travel day. It all started at the Orange County (So. CAL) airport at 6 am. Had a one-stop flight through Denver to Orlando. Didn't see any of Denver from the air but I was impressed with the airport! I landed in Orlando Thursday evening at 6pm to be greeted by a familiar face and beaming smile from Spider. That familiarity was beginning to feel like home again! What are good friends for?! We had dinner at Pei Wei's and spent the rest of the evening 'just chillin' and getting caught up on things.

Friday started off as a beach day. We drove out to Playlinda beach near Cape Canaveral, to bask in the sun 'au naturale.' Let's just say my experience was exhilarating, none the less. Nothing like feeling the wind and water against your skin, unrestricted. We had one hunky couple come plant themselves about 10 yards from us, so we did get a tad bit of eye candy. At about 2:30pm we headed on up to Jacksonville. Spider and I planted ourselves at the Hyatt Hotel along the St. John's River. What a view! After quickly showering, we headed on over to see Derek and his partner, Mike. Spider and I got a wee bit lost finding their place so we got on the phone and ended up getting directed in verbally over the phone. And BOY! did we get an eyeful of candy as we drove up. TWO GORGEOUS SHIRTLESS HAIRY BEARS waving us on up the block. I just wish I had a photo of that moment to show you all what Spider and I saw. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOF!!!!!! Lots of hugging! Mike and Derek took us out to three local hangouts for drinks and dinner but the best part of the night was the company. We chatted about several things. And now I have met Mike officially. He is a great guy...what can you say about a person who knows nothing about you but makes you feel welcome in his space. What a conversationalist. THANKS MIKE! I truly hope that our meeting turns into an evolving friendship. And of course, if you all didn't know, guess Spider and I some how inspired Mike to join the blogging world. He now has his own blog called The Life Of A Bare Bear (a partial blog here too). We all just need to encourage him to make some routine posts.

Saturday was a day to enjoy Jacksonville. Mike had to work (we were bummed) but Derek came downtown to join Spider and me for a cruise of the area. The three of us just had a great time hanging, chatting about a variety of stuff, and simply being silly. As you may already know, some of the silliness extended over to posing and doing rather provocative poses with some of the famous landmarks in Jacksonville. You'll have to mosey on over to Derek's blog to check those photos out. Derek also took us over to his neighborhood so we could get a nice perspective of what he sees everyday and where he hangs at times to simply find a moment's peace. There are some really incredible views of the Jacksonville cityscape and the St. John's River from the riverbank in his 'neck of the woods.' And then it came, I had to say goodbye to Derek. I gave him the biggest "squeezing hug." What else do you do to someone you truly care about as a friend and in who you see so much of yourself. It's just hard leaving that infectious Southern-boy smile of Derek's. Spider and I had hoped he and Mike would drive down for Pride for the day but we knew it was a dicy call.

So with a bit of a heavy heart, Spider and I hit the road again, back to Orlando. We had a 6:30pm dinner engagement with Sorted and the new Florida bloggers I was to meet, Mikell of How Does One Deal? and Doug of Whisper In The Void, to include their partners. Spider and I managed to get back to the Cottage (his house) around 5:30pm so we got ourselves all "beautified." The guests all strolled up on time with the exception of Sorted. My lordy, what in the world was keeping him...he's always so punctual. Hehehe! Just playing with ya Sorted. We headed off to Friends, the local gay-friendly restaurant, for lots of conversation and an opportunity to get to know each other better. From there we walked two blocks to Studs for drinks and more conversation. We had the owner, "D" and his partner "S" join our group. All I can say is, "Damn, what one hot couple." You'll see them (or portions of them), hehehe!, in the photos to follow. It was a wrap at about 11:30 pm. Had to get our beauty sleep for the big Pride day. Anh-hah!


Sunday strolled in. We were greeted with absolutely phenomenal weather. Comfortable low 80s or so and virtually no humidity. The gang all go together at Spider's place again and we walked down to Central Market for brunch. We worked our way down to the central plaza in Orlando where all the booths and stage were set up. Of course we checked everything out, and I mean 'everything,' including anything walking on two legs...hint, hint! Trust me, there were a few hotties! Just bummed though as the bear crowd was next to nil. I guess all the events of the simultaneous Bearbust kept the bears away. *sigh* Eeked in lunch and then strolled down to lake and planted ourselves along part of the parade route. Once it all started, I just was amazed at the mix in the crowd, gays, straights, parents with children. Really a neat, fun, festive feel...the way it should be. I had to laugh at those guys twirling the batons and spinning those flags. They really got into the beat of the music and the cheering from the crowds. Every now and then you could hear a shout, "You go G-U-R-L!" LMAO! I even saw Colaboy in one of the vehicles pulling a parade float. We also ran into another blogger I read, Wenchy, who happens to be a very good friend of Sorted. Once the parade finished the gang headed back over to the square for drinks and to watch some of the stage performances. The local Orlando Theatre crew did a few numbers from WICKED and of course, we had the drag queen comedians going at it. Around 6pm we headed back to Spider's pad to clean up and get in some dinner. We lost Mikell and his partner, "S," but the rest of us headed over to Wildside in Thornton Park for our last moments together. I can't begin to say what wonderful people Doug, his partner Chris, Mikell, and his partner, "S," are. It continues to blow my mind how people connected merely by a computer, have been able to intermingle in person with such ease. And even Doug's and Mikell's partners...here are two guys who don't blog, yet they mixed in with the crowd as if we all had been long-time friends. WOW!

And with the weekend passing along came this past Monday - my last day in Orlando. Spider and I were up early and worked our way over to Central Market for brunch. My last moments with him for a spell. I have no idea when I'll be back out to Florida though I will be back...too many people there that mean the world to me. Then it was off to the airport to begin what became my nightmare trip home - 24 hours virtually of travel time and dead time in airports with nothing to eat for the longest spell and a sleepless night. All this thanks to a major storm in Houston, the city I had to go through on the way home to get out to So. CAL.

Hope you enjoy some of the photos below that, to me, summed up my Pride weekend experience!

To all of you bloggers in Florida - you are my 'family.' Thanks to each and everyone of you for making my first pride experience so memorable. An extended thank you to Derek and Mike for showing me a part of their home town. And a very special thank you with a big, squishy hug to Spider for putting up with me for the entire weekend, for offering me a place to stay, and for carting me in his own vehicle up to Jacksonville to see Derek and Mike (after I had to told him I was renting a car for that trip). WARM HUGS TO ALL!

Playlinda Beach

Downtown Jacksonville at St. John's River - evening.

My two gorgeous, hunky friends, Derek and Mike (l to r). Aren't they the cutest couple?!

Downtown Jacksonville moment to the ol' Jacksonville fire o fthe early 1900s, as seen from my hotel room.

Oh! If only I could live this lifestyle!!! Do you think they would have seen me standing naked at the window in my room?

More Jacksonville cityscape - this city has so much DAMN potential to be a hotspot if it is developed right.

Unique fountain, non-operable at the time, at the pier in Jacksonville.

This Chart House Restaurant caught my eye as unique in style from the typical ones I see back in California. It was partially sunken in the ground and the entire backside of the restaurant offered its customers one killer view of the St. John's Riverfront and downtown.

Align CenterMy, Spider looks to be heavily contemplating something here! I wonder what?

The sailor's monument at the Jacksonville riverfront.

Derek and me with a DAMN third wheel, Mr. Sailor Man! My, he looks familiar - where did I see him last...Mr. Sailor Man that is?!

Jacksonville had these jaguars all over the city painted out differently in each location.

Me on Orlando Pride Day.

Me pulling off a BRETTCAJUN pose. Damn, I should have removed my t-shirt...my ratings could have shot through the moon. LMAO!

Arms looking okay. Now if I can work those abs a bit more as my bud, BrettCajun, always says.

Doug and his partner, Chris - two of four new people I met in Orlando. Doug's the blogger of the two.

Align CenterPride staging area.

Oh boy! What a few Bloody Marys can do to a group of guys! (l to r, Mikell, his partner "S", and Sorted)

Now I couldn't get enough of this incredibly HUNKY stud. I literally sat at the restaurant with this view, fantasizing about him. I really wish I had had the balls to go up and introduce myself. IS HE NOT A DISH OR WHAT?

It's them bikers on wheels!! Dikes and all.

The parade!!!



Where are all those young bears and cubs?!

My, Dorothy from Kansas is all grown up!

Pul-leeze. Tell me another story!

Now don't gays do color good!!!

'You go G-U-R-L-S!' as Sorted says.

I never new a guy could look so hot waving a flag. This guy was totally into the routine.

Align CenterDoug and Chris (far lt and middle) find there first mate at the parade wearing kilt. Who said guys can't look sexy in skirts?!

It's the Tupperware Lady!! Oh baby, she gave me the tongue!

OOOO! this guy could 'ram' me any day!

It's the UNIVERSAL Studios float!

Remember earlier I told you about "D", the bar owner, and his partner "S." Well this is "S" and I couldn't get enough of those sweet cheeks!

The crowd and the main gathering center.

Sorted and Wenchy. My, you have matching shorts!

Here are "S" and "D" again (l to r). Seems the Orlando police made "S" cover up those gorgeous cheeks of his. *sigh* Can you imagine this shot of him without the shirt in place. *bigger sigh!*



Orlando Pride's Grand Marshall this year along with the events two drag comedian host'esses.' Does he look familiar? Guess!

The Orlando Pride Gang!
(l to r)
Me, "S"- Mikell's partner, Mikell, Sorted, Spider, Chris - Doug's partner, and Doug
P.S. This shot came off of Doug's camera!

18 Comments:

At Fri Oct 20, 01:27:00 PM PDT, Blogger Spider said...

DAMN - we had a good time didn't we... and you don't have to thank me for anything - thank YOU for coming back and making that the best Pride I have ever had! You know you are welcome at the Cottage anytime babe - and you may stay as long as you like... and there is NO putting up with you - I loved every minute you were here! Hampton and the boys all say HI!

 
At Fri Oct 20, 02:45:00 PM PDT, Blogger Doug said...

Great narrative and pics! It was awesome to meet you, Tony, and hope to see you again soon.

*hugs*

 
At Fri Oct 20, 03:54:00 PM PDT, Blogger Joshua said...

My Goodness - I just don't have the attention span this week!!! But great pictures and I'm glad you got to share your first Pride with some special people. My first one was with strangers; I have no idea where they are in this world, now. Well, I'm back to bed. Just one of those kinds of weeks :)

 
At Fri Oct 20, 06:05:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Day-Uhm.

That's all I got to say.

TheHusband and I had SUCH a great time.

 
At Fri Oct 20, 06:27:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lemuel said...

That was a SUPER post, Tony! Thanks so much for the narrative and the great pictures! You help to make events like these come alive for the rest of us and you showed us some great sights from around the towns - and the landscapes were not bad either! LOL!

 
At Fri Oct 20, 08:06:00 PM PDT, Blogger Pete said...

Boy this one was kind like the energizer bunny, it kept going and going, LOL. Thanks for the download looks like everyone had a great time. I couldn't help notice you two kept needing to GET CLEAN. Or did you really mean get dirty?!!!

 
At Sat Oct 21, 04:08:00 AM PDT, Blogger Stephen said...

Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful time you had with Spider and the rest of the Florida bloggers, great post, great pics.

 
At Sat Oct 21, 08:10:00 AM PDT, Blogger Jake said...

Great pictures ad narrative there my friend. Glad you had so much fun. It's memories of good times that last a lifetime.

 
At Sat Oct 21, 12:11:00 PM PDT, Blogger T-Bird said...

:-D

 
At Sat Oct 21, 01:31:00 PM PDT, Blogger Mark said...

Wow, looks like an excellent trip! Thanks for all the great pictures. BIG HUGS. I'm on day 8 of not smoking, by the way.

 
At Sat Oct 21, 01:59:00 PM PDT, Blogger David said...

Wow, sounds like you had a great time, wish I had made it down South on my trip now .

 
At Sat Oct 21, 08:40:00 PM PDT, Blogger Ur-spo said...

that was a splendid post; the photos are wonderful
You are a handsome bear yourself BTW.

 
At Sun Oct 22, 03:45:00 PM PDT, Blogger kevin said...

They are really cool pics. It sounds like you had an awesome time. I have never been to a Pride Parade yet but I will get to see one someday.

Gee those boys look HOT!

 
At Mon Oct 23, 12:47:00 AM PDT, Blogger DanNation said...

Fantastic trip, eh? You should have called me in LA - were you back yet?

 
At Mon Oct 23, 09:20:00 AM PDT, Blogger Jimmi said...

The pictures are great! Glad you had a good time out there in FL. They seem like a fun bunch!

Jimmi

 
At Tue Oct 24, 05:07:00 PM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

These are wonderful shots, sorry I've been out of town, and a little under the weather, thanks so much for all the kind words. I feel exactly the same way about you man. Miss you man!

 
At Wed Oct 25, 08:29:00 AM PDT, Blogger buff said...

Super, super, super. Everyone had a blast. Thanks for sharing. Big hairy muscle hugs of appreciation, Tony.

 
At Fri Oct 27, 08:45:00 PM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

did I forget to say how woofy you look in those camo's

 

Post a Comment

<< Home