Monday, November 20, 2006

"WHAT WOULD YOU DO?" MONDAY (#10)

So the weekend was a bit laid back for me. I did get my Tuesday Art History paper completed. I got a couple of workouts in as well though I opted for a day of rest yesterday - the biceps and the shoulder muscles were feeling a little sore. But managed to sneak in washing my car, so not all was lost. I also spoke with my buds, Pete, Derek, Brett(Cajun) and Spider between Friday and Saturday. We got all caught up with our news. I also got a very brief phone call from Smiley (Josh) yesterday. He had to cut it short because he was dealing with an emergency situation. Guys, Josh's issue wasn't life threatening but keep him in your thoughts. That poor soul just seems to get hit with one too many 'one-two punches.' I'm thinking about you my friend!

Guess I should move my sweet little tail into today's weekly topic of WHAT WOULD YOU DO? Monday. I must tell you in advance that I have often pondered this question I am about to pose to you. And if I am correct, I bet many of you have thought about it too. If you haven't, it may be an eye-opener. The question:
What would you do if you must lose one of your five senses - chose to lose your sight, your hearing, your sense of smell, your ability to taste, or your sense of touch (feeling). Mind you, on your sense of touch, I am talking about loosing your ability to feel any sensation through your skin.
Making a decision on this subject it not easy. There are far too many variables to consider about the loss of any one of the five senses. But I have thought about this question too often to even hesitate any more. I would, without reservation, chose to lose my sense of taste. Hopefully I could rely on my sense of touch to tell me if I was going to put anything scalding in my mouth. I could make a list a mile long on my reasons but I think my one example is enough to give you an idea about the "why."

As for the other senses, I'd miss simple pleasures like a baby's cooing or cry for that matter, the trickling of a meandering brook, the subtle chirps of birds in a distance far too much to part with my hearing. I gain so much from seeing. The element of vision is what stirs me the most. Seeing beauty is what captures my imagination. Seeing a human's reaction grounds me. To me smell helps identify the environment your are in. It creates a sense of pleasure but it also alerts you to harm. I think one's ability to touch/feel also evokes similar sensations as smell.

Having read the question and my thoughts, what is running through your mind? I'm curious!

8 Comments:

At Mon Nov 20, 03:12:00 AM PST, Blogger Lemuel said...

I think I would concur with you Tony and go for taste, although I think the sense of smell and taste and interconnected. Perhaps if I could not taste, I would be less prone to lose control of my weight. LOL! But I treasure the things I see and the sounds I hear (in particular music) that to lose these woulf be tragic for me. I had an aunt and uncle who were both stone deaf. What a horrid existence! I am at an age that I know my hearing and my sight are not what they once were. I am by no means deaf or blind, but I have lost enough of their once keen edge to appreciate how precious they are.

 
At Mon Nov 20, 04:05:00 AM PST, Blogger Spider said...

I think I would opt for smell... but like Lemuel said, smell and taste are so interwoven that loosing smell would certainly change you ability to taste...

But to be blind, not to be able to hear music and children laughing, not to be able to feel the touch of the one you love...

They say when a sense is lost the others pick up the slack... I guess you could take them all, please just don't take my sight...

 
At Mon Nov 20, 05:01:00 AM PST, Blogger DEREK said...

actually this one is kind of easy. Since I was a little kid I had a bionic nose. Super smell, and at times its nice, and at times it's punishment. I actually thought this one by what I would really miss the most, and I have enough memory on smells to last me a lifetime, plus I can use my memory on them, also I live with someone that has a bionic gas muscles and can make any super villian pass out with his gasous vapors.

 
At Mon Nov 20, 06:19:00 AM PST, Blogger Ur-spo said...

I'll for hearing as I have a saftey factor built in on this one.
I would miss music very much. However, I worked for 5-8 years in the deaf community, so I can still sign. I wouldn't feel so 'lost' if hearing went. I would have a means of communication and community - and there are a lot of deaf gay men to be sure!

 
At Mon Nov 20, 08:53:00 AM PST, Blogger Joshua said...

This is a tough one, but I'd go with smell. I think I could go without that one, the most. Hearing would suck ass - as one of my good gay friends is deaf. He often feels isolated; as he lives far from all his buds; and can't pick up the phone to communicate with us. Plus, there's a lot of things which are 'lost in translation' between spoken/written language and sign.

 
At Mon Nov 20, 12:55:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assuming that one would still have the sense of taste - I would pick smell to lose - as for explaination - well think read your line about your sweet little tail...

 
At Mon Nov 20, 07:33:00 PM PST, Blogger rodger said...

How about I give up my legs. I just can't choose to part with any senses.

 
At Mon Nov 20, 10:45:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony Darlin',

I gots me more then just "5 sences". Now that may be on account of me bein' so Glamorous an all. Or on your part 'cause you ain't.

I got me loads of "common sence". Tons of "fashion sence". An' we won't even talk about all the "in-sence" I picked-up at the local dollar store to make my trailer smell just like heaven.

Huggs, etc... Bunny Lynn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home