Tuesday, November 21, 2006

HOW DO YOU LIKE IT? (#26)


What comes after Monday? Tuesday! And what does that signal at this time of the week? Well...here at this blog it means it is time for How Do You Like It? Tuesday.
In honor of Thanksgiving Day fast approaching, I have this question for you:
How do you like your Thanksgiving turkey cooked - oven-roasted, barbecued, or deep fried?
In days gone by I would have told you that I want my turkey to be traditional...which means baked in the oven. But guys, as of lately, like the past two to three years, I have had it deep fried. And let me tell you, if you have never had turkey deep-fried, you are missing something incredible. It takes no more than 45-50 minutes for a 20-25 pound turkey and you get the most moist meat throughout the entire turkey, white and dark meat. We usually inject the bird with lots of butter and have gone with a spicy Cajun seasoning the last couple of cookings. To die for is all I can say!!! Now all you have to do is throw in my brother-in-law's restaurant style garlic mashed potatoes, mom's homemade stuffing (I have yet to taste any stuffing that tops it), French-style cut green beans with almond slivers, and mom's homemade pumpkin pie....I'm in heaven.

So fill us in on how you like your turkey and if you want to divulge more about your yearly ritual feast then feel free, by all means.

P.S.> Heading on home to the SF Bay Area tomorrow morning, bright and early, most likely around 4:30-5am. I may just be giving some of my buds personal calls while I am on the road. I hope I have Internet connectivity at my mom's house - of course, that all depends on my mom's neighbors *wink*.

22 Comments:

At Tue Nov 21, 03:33:00 AM PST, Blogger Joshua said...

Oven Roasted, but I have tried deep-fried; and it's very tasty!

 
At Tue Nov 21, 03:52:00 AM PST, Blogger Lemuel said...

Never have had deep fried. My older son would agree with you. So far my preference is slowly roasted and basted.

 
At Tue Nov 21, 04:34:00 AM PST, Blogger Jake said...

I don't know how my mom cooks her turkey, she just puts it in the oven all day. I love anything this woman prepares. Her homemade banana pudding is to die for and usually the first thing gone.

 
At Tue Nov 21, 04:34:00 AM PST, Blogger DEREK said...

I just started eating it deep fried, I think that is my favorite way now. I just love me some turkey though anyway!

 
At Tue Nov 21, 04:35:00 AM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

as long as i am not cooking it... i really don't care... but I have had deep friend before and it was very tasty... Happy Turkey Day!

 
At Tue Nov 21, 05:46:00 AM PST, Blogger Rick Bettencourt said...

I got to try it fried. Have yet to. Love it oven roasted though.

 
At Tue Nov 21, 06:35:00 AM PST, Blogger Ur-spo said...

i have never had a BBQ or deep fried turkey so I vote for the traditional way.
Please drive safely, and have a good time with that family of yours!

 
At Tue Nov 21, 06:42:00 AM PST, Blogger Brettcajun said...

Cajun seasoning! I LOVE IT!!! Yeah... all of you need a little more spice in your life. I am available! Just sprinkle me everywhere! :)

Enjoy the Thanksgiving Holidays Tony! You keep the family in line this year!

 
At Tue Nov 21, 07:36:00 AM PST, Blogger Kevin said...

I've heard deep-fried is to die for but I've never had it.

I use a roasting bag. Cuts the time down, and I never have to baste it -- and it comes out so frickin' juicy every time. I live by them.

 
At Tue Nov 21, 07:52:00 AM PST, Blogger Doug said...

I've had deep fried, smoked, and oven-baked. It's a close race, but I think I prefer it the traditional oven-baked.

And mom's stuffing from inside the bird. No one makes it like mom. In fact, that's one of the few things we agree on.

 
At Tue Nov 21, 08:08:00 AM PST, Blogger digital t-square said...

We had a deep fried turkey a couple of years ago. I have to agree, it was it was the best turkey ever. We have also had it smoked, BBQ'd in a Weber, and of course the traditional way.

Have a great time in the Bay Area.

 
At Tue Nov 21, 08:54:00 AM PST, Blogger Greg said...

Oven-roasted with cranberry stuffing, candied sweet potatoes, fresh cranberry sauce, and King's Hawaiian Bread buscuits.

 
At Tue Nov 21, 10:11:00 AM PST, Blogger Spider said...

I do love the deep-fried - with sone butter and hot sauce injected between the skin and the meat... but I also love the oven baked. My FAVORITE is to take the skin from the oven baked, a little mayo or Miracle Whip on white bread and make a turkey skin sandwich...

I KNOW that shocks you!

 
At Tue Nov 21, 10:18:00 AM PST, Blogger cola boy said...

As long as it's moist, and not dry. So baked, fried, are all fine with me. :-)

 
At Tue Nov 21, 11:50:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fried Cajun style! Yep, kind of makes me feel like I have a piece of BrettCajun in my mouth. Yep, that made my mouth water!

 
At Tue Nov 21, 02:19:00 PM PST, Blogger Paul said...

Smoked. From Greenberg Smoked Turkeys in Tyler Texas.

 
At Tue Nov 21, 02:36:00 PM PST, Blogger rodger said...

Deep fried is great but I still prefer a very, very slow oven roast.

Have a great trip. I'm jealous you get to go home...I miss the Bay Area.

 
At Tue Nov 21, 04:51:00 PM PST, Blogger Mike said...

I like traditional roasted turkey with the usual trimmings, including mashed potatoes, squash, green beans, carrots, cortons (French Canadian stuffing), gravy, and the usual pies and cakes for dessert. Also, cranberry sauce with the lines from the Ocean Spray can on it, chilled.

 
At Tue Nov 21, 06:48:00 PM PST, Blogger Jason said...

I'm already having dreams of turkeys dancing in my head. lol.
I've yet to go the fried way, but it sounds so damn good.
Hope you have a safe trip and a great holiday!

 
At Tue Nov 21, 07:26:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, BBQ turkey would be a treat.

Tony, have a wonderful holiday and my best to you and yours.

 
At Tue Nov 21, 07:51:00 PM PST, Blogger A Lewis said...

I'm up for anything...long as it's tender and well seasoned (we're talking TURKEY here boys)....definitely like BrettCajun's seasoning idea...love it spicy and slow cooked. Yumm. And sandwiches the next day are typically just as good as the real deal.

 
At Wed Nov 22, 10:10:00 PM PST, Blogger Maddog said...

I have only ever had oven roasted turkey. But after reading your post I feel like I have been missing something. Now I just have to convince one of my friends to deep fry a bird so that I can compare the two.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home