Thursday, December 14, 2006

WE ALL HAVE SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR AROUND THE HOLIDAYS

It's easy to feel miserable during the holiday season and view it as a waste of time. Stores are crowded. People are pushy and demanding. Funds seem to be in short supply. Work sometimes offers year end pressures. And there is never enough time to take in all the season's events. These are only a handful of possibilities for some to view the holidays as 'Bah-Humbug!'

But if you have the remotest bit of comfort, family members, loved ones, and/or friends to share the holidays with and to offer emotional support, and a small cash reserve, then you have so much to be thankful for during this time of year. So many people battle mental illness during this time of year. Many walk the streets homeless, cold and hungry. There are those that literally live from paycheck to paycheck wondering when what little comfort they do have will fade away with the flip of a switch. And there are individuals who live each individual day of the holiday season wondering if they will make it to the next day, their bodies ravaged with life-draining diseases.

STOP! Pause for a moment. Is your life really that bad this holiday season? It's easy to 'bitch and moan' about petty things. But I firmly believe that if you can find one shining moment in your daily life and are blessed with basic life essentials, you need to give yourself a solid smack upside the head if you're playing the 'woe-is-me' violin! Trust me, it doesn't take much to find a smidgen of positivism. If you can't see it in your life, then ask a friend to help point it out. Then direct all that negative energy toward yet one more positive element. Help someone by offering some warmth, a kind word, financial assistance, emotional support, a simple smile and hello!

And now I have this to direct you to...

I have never made light of or hid the fact that I do not enjoy extensive reading. But every known and then I find a blog that reels me in with such intensity, grips the very soul of my being, tears at the emotions locked deep within, that I have to continue reading it. In this particular case, I know some of my readers may be familiar with the blog as I see your comments in it. For those of you who haven't, stop by and say hi to this individual. And you can tell him I sent you. Whose blog am I singing the praises - it's Bigg's My Confessions.

While you are at his blogsite, send him some love please. Bigg has had a rough year personally. He's trying to live his life by being true to himself. He works his tale off to support his kids while living through a marriage separation. I know that I'd be sitting in a hospital if I pushed myself like Bigg does. BIGG - you are an incredible guy (and a hell'uva writer). I wish I could somehow lighten your load. Thinking of you this holiday season. Hugs!

"That's a wrap!" as Lemeul says.

11 Comments:

At Thu Dec 14, 03:45:00 AM PST, Blogger Lemuel said...

ABSOLUTELY, Tony!

Bigg is such a great guy! And he has certainly had a rough year!

Hey, bloggers! Heed Tony's call and send a lot of love Bigg's way (and to David, too)! If you are in his area, maybe you could even offer a helping hand!

Bigg, we love you!!

(And Tony, we love you, too!!)

 
At Thu Dec 14, 04:47:00 AM PST, Blogger DEREK said...

thanks for this entry Tony! We all love us some Bigg.

 
At Thu Dec 14, 05:28:00 AM PST, Blogger Spider said...

Bigg is an unbelieveable man - I would be sitting in the corner sucking on my thumb if I had had the year he has had - and yet he keeps his head up, his spirits high and keeps on keeping on...

Yea, it makes me feel guilty when I complain...

 
At Thu Dec 14, 06:31:00 AM PST, Blogger Ur-spo said...

Tony that was a very thoughtful spot on entry - and just at the right time!
I've been feeling depressed and sorry for myself as of late; seeing someone with genuine pain like Bigg or some of my patients slaps me back to reality.
Touche!
PS - I'll look for youknowwho this weekend in Lost Vegas

 
At Thu Dec 14, 06:44:00 AM PST, Blogger Mark said...

Been reading Bigg's story for quite awhile. His writing keeps you coming back for more. He has had a rough year and really needs all the support he can get. Tony, you're always so thoughtful of other people. What a great guy you are!

 
At Thu Dec 14, 07:54:00 AM PST, Blogger Bigg said...

You guys are so great. My blog has been such a blessing, not only in the mental knots it's helped me to untie, but in the great group of guys it's introduced to me.
I wish you all a wonderful holiday!

 
At Thu Dec 14, 10:29:00 AM PST, Blogger Joshua said...

I never know how to respond when I see entries like this. I believe that optimism is the key and no one should play the woe is me violin. But I think that many don't understand that some individuals just don't care too much for holidays. I know I get tired of being bothered by friends of family imposing their guilt on me - because that's what it really is - there discomfort over my lack of interest in all the festivities. But above all - it is paramount that we keep pushing forward with a smile on our face. I just like to differentiate that not celebrating the holidays does not equate to something being direly wrong with someone - or imply misery. That's all :) For me, I think the greatest feeling of despondency is dealing with all those who constantly tell me that there must be something wrong because I'm not participating in the spirit of the holidays! O well - I could go on and on :) As far as big - kudos to him for standing tall :)

 
At Thu Dec 14, 12:42:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone views the holidays in a different way...that is normal. I like what you stated about self pity and causing your readers to reflect on his / her life for a moment. We have all had low points that we have had to struggle through, we have all had the high as a kite feeling when everything just clicks, but it is when we are just running normal that we sometimes forget that each and every moment we have on Gods green Earth is a blessing. I am not a very spiritual person, but I do beleive in the fact that we are all here to serve a purpose, and to Tony's point, helping each other out in good and bad times is an obligation we have not only to ourselves, but to theose we care about. A total stranger can benefit so much from your kind words once in a while. So this holiday season, let us reflect on EVERYTHING, not just the bad and the things we wish we would have done differently. Let us be proud of who we are, what we have become, and what we will acheive going forward. Positive thoughts are the ones that will get us through all times...
Thanks Tony for a great 'stop and think about it' post.

 
At Thu Dec 14, 01:45:00 PM PST, Blogger The Persian said...

I agree, so often we focus on the insignificant issues in our lives and seldom are thankful for what is really important, and that is Family, health and friends.

They are the the fruit of life.

Great post! and I will be checking out Mr. Bigg in a moment.

:)

 
At Thu Dec 14, 07:00:00 PM PST, Blogger A Lewis said...

Right on, Tony. It's an attitude...of gratitude. Has nothing to do with status, job, whatever. Reminds me of my posting back at Thanksgiving.

 
At Thu Dec 14, 09:31:00 PM PST, Blogger Jason said...

What a nice early x-mas gift you gave us, Tony!

You're so right. It's easy to be mr. the glass is half empty during the commericalism that Christmas has become. Life can deal you unexpected blows, but it also can show you what beautiful things we are capable of. My thoughts have lately been with the men and women still waging a war oversees. They are our heroes, and continue to fight for our freedoms and existence. Let's remember them when we feel our life isn't going exactly as we would like. It really does put things in perspective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home