Wednesday, June 21, 2006

MY DESIGN CERTIFICATE CLASS ~THIS IS WHERE IT BEGAN


When I entered my interior design school, everyone had to go through the Design Certificate Program first. I was advised that upon completion of the program successfully and satisfactorily that my certificate credits would apply toward my associates/bachelors degree. I knew what the intent was behind the class. It was an over-brief of all the classes one would be exposed to in the degree programs, all condensed into 12 weeks. But it was designed for more. Its intent was three fold - to weed out those that really did not have an interest in design; to provide a quick training for those people who merely desired to do design as a personal hobby within their own home; and lastly, to provide the foundation for those with aspirations of being a working interior designer.

In the certificate class, we had 3-hour training sessions in the likes of color, design business principles, furniture history, terminology, textile construction, spaceplanning guidelines, elements of kitchen and bath design, and much more. There was also studio work involving drafting, presentation board layout design and construction, and an actual final project presentation.

When we began the studio, we were advised to create a client. I chose my client to be a widowed, 57 year old, marketing executive who was preparing to retire in three years. He had a small beachfront vacation home on the island Maui in Hawaii that he was looking to have converted into his personal home space after retirement set for three years down the road.

The next thing was that we drew paint chip colors out of a bag. These were to be our client's favorite color and not all would match a student's scenario, i.e. a student having created a male client who selected PINK as his client's favorite color. Well, I got nailed with a funky, grayed orange. I honestly hated it at the time. It was an orange color that was not envogue. I looked high and low and ultimately only found one piece of material that matched almost identically. The problem now was that I had to use at least 20 percent of that fabric on the furniture in the living/dining space. It was a material that was also a little more feminine based on the pattern in it. So I got real creative. I only used it on the front and back of the top portion of the dining chairs. I then and placed a contrasting welt on the exterior of the top cushion (a welt is the tubular piping that you often see at the end of cushions or pillows). The welting fabric was also used on the bottom cushion of the chairs. From there, I worked in warm neutral colors with a pop of blue for a few pillows. Quite a challenge, as I had to also put a book together for the client that was a photo and written synopsis of what furniture and accessories were selected along with color selections, etc. By the way, the design style that I chose for the house was Plantation Style. It generally is traditional but with a more casual island feel, where old and new furniture pieces were mixed.

In the end, after my final presentation was done, my instructor selected my boards for the school's Hall Of Fame ~ my first selection of many more to come. Thought I would give you a glimpse of those boards. Bear with my photo'ing of the boards please. The top board contains some of the fabric elements, flooring, window treatment, furniture, and accessories that I chose. The bottom board, its layout partially cutoff, contains the interior spaceplan, a photo of the locations sunset, and an inspiration piece. Enjoy.

P.S. I love ORANGE now!

7 Comments:

At Wed Jun 21, 05:27:00 AM PDT, Blogger Brettcajun said...

You love Orange... I love you Tony. :) I am soooo glad that your class assignments are always so neat and sharp looking. I am afraid I am too messy with glue, etc. I don't have the required patience to put together something so neat in appearance.

Oh, and by the way ... that "Chatty" reference wasn't mean to mean you were a "Chatty Kathy"... we were just limited to one word... what else could I have put? You are a great conversationalist... but that is two words. ;)

 
At Wed Jun 21, 05:49:00 AM PDT, Blogger DEREK said...

SEE YOU'VE BEEN A NATURAL ALL ALONG! I should take a class myself, just so I could use space better, any suggestions on a class for someone like me that has a flair for art, but is terrible with putting stuff together.

 
At Wed Jun 21, 06:21:00 AM PDT, Blogger ..:: YNAGER ' 65 ::.. said...

Very cool there T. Once I buy my new house, I will need some expert advice, you are truly talented.

I love the orange hues myself.

 
At Wed Jun 21, 06:32:00 AM PDT, Blogger mattviews said...

Again this tells me you're quiet thinker, someone who pays attention to details. Very punctilious.

I guess in all fields of discipline, there are always classes that are meant to weed out those who are not really interested or competent enough, for sure you're *not" the one.

Looking at some of your projects in the past you're truly made for the profession. :)

 
At Wed Jun 21, 12:48:00 PM PDT, Blogger The Untraveled Travel Guy said...

So when I buy my mid century home someday in Palm Springs I'll have someone to turn to who can bring together all of the elements that I've been dreaming about :)

 
At Wed Jun 21, 01:44:00 PM PDT, Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Gah! I hate orange mostly, but that stuff is beautiful! I'm really quite impressed, I'd be comfortable in someone's home with those colors, so calming.

Drat, and here I was hoping that maybe one day I'd be able to afford your services, but this is a tell-tale sign that you're going to be a top rated designer in no time, people will be clawing for your input.

Congratulations on a beautiful job!

 
At Wed Jun 21, 03:31:00 PM PDT, Blogger Pete said...

You got the gift. I too love orange. I see with the comments you may want to post your rate's online. Are the Tony groupies going to get a good discount?

I bet each of one of use could keep you busy for a while....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home